Faith Community at WordsFree.org
December 15, 2017, 10:34:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving WordsFree to the next software version  (Read 1530 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: January 22, 2014, 10:50:17 AM »

I'm going to study what's involved in moving WordsFree to the next major version of software.  The new version is so much better about security, we could reopen online registration with the new version.

Trouble is, I'm not sure if we can keep all the information -- both user records and posts -- from this version to the next.  I'm guessing there is a way, so I'll study it and get back here when I find out.

Worst case, we'll start a new forum with nothing in it, and keep this old one as a legacy also, for reference.  The biggest issue is we'd have to re-register on the new one.  But even if so, that might be worth it and maybe it would be good to do some housekeeping anyway.  

But we may not need to do that.  That's just what could be, not what is.  I need to look into it.

I really like the new version of software, for its security capabilities.  I just installed it for a discussion forum for our fellow parishioners at Church, and I'm confident we can reopen on-site registration for WordsFree if we upgraded.  

Upgrading means we can invite/advertise for/ new members, and they can sign up right away instead of having to send email -- I know when I see a website I have to send email and wait for human answer, I sometimes just pass on it.  Usually websites have one chance to keep my interest, and if they blow it on the first glance I might not be back.  Wink

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: