Faith Community at WordsFree.org
August 23, 2017, 06:48:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comments on mental, spiritual liberation  (Read 1214 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: December 21, 2013, 10:24:26 AM »

I've mentioned the Facebook groups I'm in; here are some posts in a thread I started, that I wrote on the issue of liberation.

OP:
Complete (mental, spiritual, emotional, and social) liberation implies that we are immune to getting our feelings jerked around by others, or by circumstances. I still have the freedom of choice to decide I'm not interested in what someone else says, or disagree with it. But if I get "offended" by it, then I've given up control of my emotions to my judgment of others' actions. It requires a judgment, and then the faulty notion that negative emotions are the "correct" response to a judgment gone bad.

That said, one can be enlightened/awake/liberated, and still get caught off guard by something that surprises you because it's beyond what you've experienced before, or maybe it's really sudden. But the free person knows that it will quickly fade and they will get back to their quiescent state which includes -- freedom from anxiety.

Alan

Other posts later in the thread, most in response to others' comments:

Ozay, the last paragraph reminds me of the "purity" thing you mentioned. In Christian mysticism I call that a bit of residual "purgation." Something strikes me and I react, BUT then I notice it and can even become amused at my silly reaction, and it goes away quickly. Used to be it could take years of holding grudge; now I let go in two seconds on a Bad Day. The role of purgation is to get the shit out of all the little nooks and crannies.

I also see it as a reversal of gravity. Time and circumstances lift me up now, rather than drag me down. It's harder to stay unhappy than to be happy.

Yes, by "happy" I don't mean that I've judged the moment as "happy" as much as what you said, peaceful with no anxiety. When I was in the last throes of healing, I was observing the "fruit of the spirit" as signs of progress:
Gal 5:22 -- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

I look at the quoted word as entertainment and/or training. It's not a field guide or handbook. Whipping out a Bible and quoting it in order to speak on your behalf (but with authoritay) is a bit like responding to a challenge to arm wrestle by showing your opponent a photo of the machine you used to train.

But people don't trust themselves because they've been programmed to believe they are -- and in fact become -- fools who can't think for themselves. So instead of learning a skill (life and love for example) they try to use the props of others who ostensibly taught the skill.

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Justicia et Pax

Justicia et Pax osculatae sunt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 02:44:28 PM »

I look at the quoted word as entertainment and/or training. It's not a field guide or handbook. Whipping out a Bible and quoting it in order to speak on your behalf (but with authoritay) is a bit like responding to a challenge to arm wrestle by showing your opponent a photo of the machine you used to train.

Grin  Grin  Grin

Oh Alan. You have NO idea how much I grinned upon reading the above. Spot on!  Tongue
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »

In the last few months I haven't been posting much here, but I've been posting much elsewhere and have been learning a whole lot and changing a lot.  The world is like a different place now than even recently -- and then that happens again.

I'm ready to support Good Thinking and help in the rescuing of people from Bad Religion and helping them find their kingdom(s).  The kingdom Jesus showed us we have!  Grin

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: