Faith Community at WordsFree.org
June 25, 2017, 02:08:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7 Secrets of the Eucharist  (Read 3046 times)
Veronica97

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:20:41 AM »

I was watching EWTN this morning and they advertised a book called "7 Secrets of the Eucharist" by Vinny Flynn.  I looked it up on Amazon and read a preview--it looks pretty awesome.  In part of the preview it talks about how in the first 900 years of the Church, people received the Eucharist in the hand, and only in the ninth century did they begin to receive on the tongue.  Pope Benedict XVI said that when we place our right hand over our left, we make a "cross"--a throne for a King Whom we are receiving.  I thought that was pretty awesome, and I would never have looked at it that way.  Furthermore, the pope goes on to say that our hands are no more dirty than our tongues and our hearts--that we sin more with our tongues than with our hands.  Again, a pretty insightful way of looking at it.  In the end, receiving on the hand or on the tongue is a matter of preference, and arguing about which is better only serves to divide the Body of Christ.  I plan to order this book.  By the way, Vinny Flynn is the guy who sings the Divine Mercy Chaplet on EWTN.
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »

I really like this post, because you are pointing to the "Big One" here on WordsFree.  There was a staunch COTT guy on CAF who said that if he just could have a chance to make his case, I would see what he was saying.  So I actually invited him to WordsFree, and made him mod over a whole board about CITH v. COTT.  It got so ugly that the experiment ended.  It was my idea, and I'm glad I took the risk.  Now we have one more example of how we divide ourselves over the Eucharist.  Now it is a child board in the "Active Archive Center." 

Actually, one point Fr. Rohr makes, is that the Eucharist is actually used as the most divisive part of Catholicism -- those who are worthy v those who are unworthy.  I could argue both sides of that, but in the case of CITH and COTT, it even gets into snobbery over the Eucharist and not even something interesting like whether we are able to receive it.

It sounds like a book you're going to enjoy.

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: