Faith Community at WordsFree.org
August 22, 2017, 02:27:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wendy Davis and her Abortion Bill Filibuster  (Read 1028 times)
Veronica97

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/06/26/wendy-davis-and-the-political-power-of-the-filibuster/

Texas state senator Wendy Davis filibustered to stop passage of a bill that would ban abortions after 20 weeks.  She had a whole mob of feminists supporting her.  One of my facebook friends posted about her like she is a superstar.  There's even a facebook page called "Wendy m*****f******* (I don't know if I can put it this way--hope it's not offensive) Davis", where people are praising her and calling her a LEGEND.  Thanks to her the bill died.  BUT it has a second chance. The Texas governor's office is accepting calls from ANYONE in the U.S., and you can request that the SB5 bill be given a second chance.  Here's the number.  512-463-2000  I tried calling but it was busy and I had to leave.  I'll try again tomorrow.  This is so very sad.  Take a look at her facebook page.  It's hard to believe the support she has.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:32:23 PM by Veronica97 » Logged
Veronica97

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 08:51:22 AM »

Update:  I just called the Texas governor's office, and was informed that the governor has already called a special session that begins Monday!  So there's no need to call...apparently enough people have called already!   Smiley
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 03:31:19 PM »

I had heard about that and continue to wonder at what the real intent of the filibuster is. I know it's an attempt to give the minority party a voice against the majority but it seems to be wielded more as a weapon to require a super-majority to pass anything now than anything else.

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: