Faith Community at WordsFree.org
December 15, 2017, 12:59:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Notes from Secular Franciscan Order regional retreat.  (Read 1313 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: June 25, 2013, 11:16:05 AM »

Notes from Secular Franciscan Order regional retreat.  They are kind of sketchy but I think you might like them.

The speaker was Father Steve.  He spoke about the Secular Franciscan Order, especially to leaders of local councils and all.  Here are some of the things he talked about that were not about structure and operation of the Order:

One SFO thing:  As Franciscans, we take the responsibility to be instruments of the Spirit, to go out into the world and articulate the truths of the gospel.

Theme of the weekend:  "Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken."

In about 1893, Paul "Sabatier" (sp? that's what it sounded like), a Protestant, was very interested in St. Francis of Assisi and wrote an excellent book on him.  This angered Franciscan scholars, and the Church put it on the List of Forbidden Books.  And yet over time the scholars found out more and more that this guy's book was actually right.  That cracks me up.  Grin

St. Theresa of Lisieux was a secular Franciscan.

Then on Sunday, we started with handouts as follows:

Accept Surprises that
upset your plans,
shatter your dreams,
give a completely different turn to your day ....
and who knows ....
to your life!

It is NOT chance!

Leave the Father free to weave the pattern of your days.

+Dom Helder Camara, Archbishop of Recife, Brasil

We discussed Pope Francis's homily on Pentecost, and discuss characteristics of someone who is led by the Spirit.  I started a thread about it at http://forums.wordsfree.org/index.php/topic,2849.0.html

Then a lot of SFO stuff, then there was the end of the retreat with Mass.  I took notes on the homily:

God became man so that man could become God -- to reverse the reality of Adam and Eve.

Something about St. Bonaventure.

Theosis -- discussed the Church fathers moving east and speaking from an eastern perspective (was he still talking about Bonaventure?  Not clear from my notes)

We must spend our lives emptying ourselves so that we can be filled with God.

Especially we have to deal with the issue of pride, of "I'm right and you're wrong" thinking.

It isn't that we're better than others, just that we see ourselves the way God sees us.

More about eastern theology: the transformational ideas have been thought of in the east, for thousands of years before we thought of them.  We should respect eastern religions.

Bonaventure:  E & W come back into union.

Let God in.  Don't back off and say, "I'm not worthy."  That's false pride.

When we transform, we become a God rendering person.

What matters is how you receive and nurture the seeds that are sown in you.

In life we find/renew, again and again, who we really are.

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
JimR-OCDS

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 04:05:49 PM »

St. Theresa of Lisieux.

I don't believe this is true.

Theresa entered the Discacled Carmelite Order at age 15.

I don't ever recall reading that she became a Secular Franciscan, for she had her eyes on Carmel from a very early age, and especially
after her oldest sister entered the convent.

Jim
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:19:54 PM »

I must have misheard something then.  Undecided

Thanks for the correction.

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: