Faith Community at WordsFree.org
June 27, 2017, 10:40:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope Francis condemns hypocrisy  (Read 4694 times)
Veronica97

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »

So THAT'S what Lectio Divina means!  That sounds like something I'd be very interested in!   I always read the notes at the bottom of my Bible, but many times I am also struck by how it speaks to me personally, and I think that's fine.  I'm just always cautious because there are some people who read the Bible and then twist it to mean what THEY want it to mean--taking it out of context and out of the history from whence it came, etc.  But Lectio Divina sounds like something I'd like to try!  I'll check out the past discussions when I get time.
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »

So THAT'S what Lectio Divina means!  That sounds like something I'd be very interested in!   I always read the notes at the bottom of my Bible, but many times I am also struck by how it speaks to me personally, and I think that's fine.  I'm just always cautious because there are some people who read the Bible and then twist it to mean what THEY want it to mean--taking it out of context and out of the history from whence it came, etc.  But Lectio Divina sounds like something I'd like to try!  I'll check out the past discussions when I get time.

BTW "Lectio Divina" means "Divine Reading."

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 02:53:19 PM »

This is true, especially in Lectio Devina. We are praying with Scripture and opening ourselves up to God, so that he can communicate to us in a deeper level.

It's not a time for Bible study or intellectual discourse, but a surrender in simple faith.

Jim

What you and Alan are saying is what I was trying to get at without throwing out terminology. Just the idea of letting God communicate with us, whether through silence or prompted from some passage of scripture.

I've never been very "successful" doing Lectio on my own though I've found it immensely helpful and uplifting when done in a small group setting of faith-filled people.

And you are absolutely right in pointing out that this is NOT about Bible study but about seeing what God is saying to us individually through whatever passage we're looking at.

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
OneSheep

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 11:21:01 PM »

If you were to post the words of Pope Francis in certain Catholic forums, and not reveal who wrote it, you'd be attacked and probably
banned.  Grin

Jim

I have often thought the same myself.  I have considered plagiarizing St. Paul just to see what would happen. 
JimR-OCDS

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 08:42:09 AM »

If you were to post the words of Pope Francis in certain Catholic forums, and not reveal who wrote it, you'd be attacked and probably
banned.  Grin

Jim

I have often thought the same myself.  I have considered plagiarizing St. Paul just to see what would happen. 

LOL  Grin

I had the same thoughts, but honesty in all things is important in our spiritual journey.

Jim
OneSheep

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 10:56:45 AM »

banned.  Grin

Jim

LOL  Grin

I had the same thoughts, but honesty in all things is important in our spiritual journey.

Jim

Hi again Jim.  I just posted on the "Buddhist prayer" thread on CAF after reading all the back-and-forth.  I found Viola's conciliatory tone in her last (I think) post very heartening.  My son (a very dedicated Catholic) is attending a week-long session where there is a guy from a Catholic order (a priest, I think?) drawing connections between Buddhist and Catholic teaching and meditation.  It takes place at a Buddhist monastery near here.  My son went last year, and got a lot out of it.  My son has spent months at Buddhist monasteries because he likes the discipline there, which he thought was superior to the Catholic monastery he went to.  I joke with him that if he reveals his "secret", he is going to get kicked out of the KOC, but he says he has nothing to hide. 

I think the direction of the Kingdom is away from Xenophobia.

As far as the topic of "hypocrisy" goes, I am a confessed hypocrit.  In fact, I find that hypocrisy is the rule rather than the exception.  I try to pay very close attention to what I criticize, because chances are almost 100% that what I am criticizing in others is something that I am denying and/or condemning in myself. 

As such, hypocrisy is a tool.  To point at someone else and call them a hypocrit is really a statement of shared humanity.  We condemn in others what we condemn in ourselves. 
JimR-OCDS

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 11:09:20 AM »

Definition

Hypocrite:

1: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion

2: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite

Being truthful and honest, regardless how you come across, does not make you a hypocrite,

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 11:14:11 AM »

Definition

Hypocrite:

1: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion

2: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite

Being truthful and honest, regardless how you come across, does not make you a hypocrite,

I think the term "stated" is important.

I may state a belief but not actually hold that belief.

So I may act in honesty with my true belief, but be a hypocrite relative to my stated, or professed, belief.

Or I can give in to pressures that cause me to act outside of even my personal held belief.  Then I get to be a hypocrite to myself.

I think the first one is more socially upsetting, (if caught at it Grin) the second one is more personally destructive.

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
JimR-OCDS

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 11:20:30 AM »

It's akin to some one preaching against couples living outside of marriage, while he himself is soliciting prostitutes.

Jim
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: