Faith Community at WordsFree.org
June 29, 2017, 02:16:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Longest-Serving' Cloistered Nun Dies in Spain  (Read 713 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: June 13, 2013, 02:22:36 AM »

'Longest-Serving' Cloistered Nun Dies in Spain
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/longest-serving-cloistered-nun-dies-spain-19380444#.Ubl0LPm86Bk

A nun believed to hold the world record of 86 years cloistered in a monastery has died in Spain.

Sister Maria Romero, abbess of the Buenafuente del Sistal monastery northeast of Madrid said Wednesday that Sister Teresita Barajuen had died overnight. She was 105.

She entered the Cistercian monastery when she was 19, the abbess said.

Barajuen acknowledged in interviews that like many young women at the time, she never intended being a nun but entered the monastery because of family pressure.

In 2011, Barajuen left the monastery for the first time in 40 years to meet retired Benedict XVI during a papal visit to Madrid. She had entered the monastery on the same day he was born.

A recent EWTN article about her before she died:

Nun, 105-years-old, happy after 86 years in the cloister

http://www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/World.php?id=6868

Excerpt:

A 105 year-old Cistercian nun who lives in a convent in central Spain said that after 86 years of being cloistered, she is happy and has never been bored.

“Even if I had married a prince, I would not be happier than I am now,” said Sister Teresita.

In an interview with the Spanish daily newspaper “Correo,” she explained that a vocation “is something huge” and requires perseverance, but brings great joy.

The Spanish nun entered the Monastery of Buenafuente in 1927 at the age of just 19.

“We went to see the patroness of Avila, the White Virgin, and I prayed to St. Teresa for a vocation,” she recalled, noting that she left behind “three boyfriends.”

“I wanted the cloister and not an active community,” she added.

St. Teresita has seen significant changes during her 86 years in the convent. She reflected on how “very different” life was before the Spanish Civil War in the 1930s.

“Everything was always very austere,” she explained. “We changed our habits once a month and an iron was for us a luxury, not like today.”
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:29:29 AM by Alan » Logged

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: