Faith Community at WordsFree.org
June 29, 2017, 02:18:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Francis of Assisi  (Read 1813 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: May 31, 2013, 11:34:16 AM »

Since I'm becoming a secular Franciscan, I've been watching a few videos about St. Francis of Assisi.

So far I've watched a movie about him, and liked it: Francis of Assisi

I'm just finishing up a documentary about him at:  St. Francis of Assisi - Documentary

The documentary gives me quite a bit of information I didn't get from the movie, but overall both videos made me very happy about aligning with St. Francis.

I really liked this one line in the documentary at about 30:00

"Francis proclaimed peace, where other people proclaimed warnings.  Francis proclaimed benevolence and caring and God's love for all, when others were proclaiming duty and sacrifice."

Alan
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:18:58 PM by Alan » Logged

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:04:25 AM »

"Francis proclaimed peace, where other people proclaimed warnings.  Francis proclaimed benevolence and caring and God's love for all, when others were proclaiming duty and sacrifice."

Hmmm, I seem to remember Jesus quoting some guy called Isaiah (at least I think it was Isaiah) being told by God "what I desire is mercy, not sacrifice." Yet the Church continues to emphasize the sacrifice end and pretty much ignore the mercy end.

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
Daizies

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »

"Francis proclaimed peace, where other people proclaimed warnings.  Francis proclaimed benevolence and caring and God's love for all, when others were proclaiming duty and sacrifice."

Hmmm, I seem to remember Jesus quoting some guy called Isaiah (at least I think it was Isaiah) being told by God "what I desire is mercy, not sacrifice." Yet the Church continues to emphasize the sacrifice end and pretty much ignore the mercy end.
I think this is the one you're thinking of:
Hosea 6:6 For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

I always think of the Sermon on the Mount:
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. (Matthew 5:7)
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 01:53:56 PM »

Thank you Daizies. That is indeed the line I was thinking of. I think it may be requoted in Isaiah somewhere also but that is probably the original source.

This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
Linda Clare

Westmoreland47@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »

Just watched the documentary,Alan.  It gave me a lot to think and pray about.

Linda Clare
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »

Wow.

I just realized about five minutes ago, that this weekend is the Secular Franciscan regional (multi-state) retreat, at Newman University in Wichita.

It's almost 5:00, which is when registration opens.  First event is at 7:30, and it's about a 20 minute drive.  So if I leave by 6:15 or so, I should have more than enough time to get settled in.  I'll set ETD of 6:10.  The campus isn't that big, so hopefully it will only take a few minutes to park and find the place.  I don't know what building it's in so I'm hoping it will be well marked.

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Justicia et Pax

Justicia et Pax osculatae sunt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 06:31:15 PM »

Wow.

I just realized about five minutes ago, that this weekend is the Secular Franciscan regional (multi-state) retreat, at Newman University in Wichita.

It's almost 5:00, which is when registration opens.  First event is at 7:30, and it's about a 20 minute drive.  So if I leave by 6:15 or so, I should have more than enough time to get settled in.  I'll set ETD of 6:10.  The campus isn't that big, so hopefully it will only take a few minutes to park and find the place.  I don't know what building it's in so I'm hoping it will be well marked.

Alan

Hope you have an amazing time, Alan. I expect a full report upon your return Wink
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 03:26:04 AM »

Wow.

Alan

Hope you have an amazing time, Alan. I expect a full report upon your return Wink

Wow.  Mass started about 7:30, then after Mass the friar who said Mass gave a presentation while we we still in the chapel.  That lasted until 9:00, and we sat around and visited in a little "hospitality room" until 10:15 or so until I came home, to get home after 10:30.  I went to bed pretty soon because today we start at breakfast at 8:00 and morning prayer followed by retreat presentation #2, at 9.

There were about 60-70 at Mass, and it was awesome.  First, let me say that if even one out of 10 of the homilies given at "mainstream" Masses, were like this one, the world would be entirely changed.  The friar (I don't know his name) gave a homily about letting go, including letting go of attachment to mindsets and stuff.  It was amazing but I really can't repeat it; he said things that made so much sense that it was exactly the kind of thing we discuss here all the time.  If his homilies are all like that we could post them every day!  It could have been a Richard Rohr presentation.  I totally loved it.  Really; this is what I've been calling for, for years -- is the kind of homily he just gave to be more prevalent.

Then his lecture after Mass was awesome.  He talked about the Franciscan order and what our role is supposed to be in leading the Church.  He talked about the various political issues that are going on, and how he and some others are on committees that have to oversee all of this.  Gosh I didn't take any notes or anything, but I wasn't bored a minute.  I totally loved the environment.  He talked quite a bit about music and the liturgy and how the music is to support a liturgy.  He talked about some of my pet peeves about the music we even have at our church, such as the choir singing a bit performance hymns and Mass parts that nobody knows or can sing with, etc.

Not to mention that before Mass, during Mass, and after Mass, I noticed a "reverence" I normally don't.  I thought there were about 40 people, and that there was hardly anybody behind me.  But it turned out before Mass they filled in.  There were probably about 60-70 at Mass overall, and it was so peaceful it was amazing.  It wasn't like everybody was in tense silence, either.  A few times people were chatting a bit, and no big deal.  It didn't disturb the peace.

When I got a chance to talk to the friar in the hospitality room, I told him that I liked a homily that was not just informational, but inspirational and transformational.  I talked to him about it and he was pleased that I picked up on exactly what he was trying to get across.

Oh well I don't know what more I'll remember later, and after tonight I may remember even less.  There is about a 12 hour schedule for today.  So I won't continue to elaborate, so I can get back to sleep, and I may not be posting all day.

Alan

Justicia et Pax

Justicia et Pax osculatae sunt

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 04:46:35 AM »

Thanks for the update - it sounds so inspirational, and so peace-filled too! Glad you found them and hope you enjoy today Smiley
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 03:24:51 PM »

I love our regional gatherings. We typically pull in 250-300 now over that weekend and it is incredibly uplifting and affirming to be in the same room with so many people on the same journey. Ours is the first weekend in August and I'm ready to go!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: