Faith Community at WordsFree.org
October 18, 2017, 07:45:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matt -- our WF tech support, my son -- to enter the seminary.  (Read 1400 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: May 25, 2013, 02:37:10 AM »

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

It is now public knowledge that my son Matt is going to retire early from his engineering career and enter the seminary this fall, for the diocese of Wichita.  He has been working for Bombardier (Learjet) for five years, after receiving his BS in electrical engineering from Wichita State University.  He is in flight test.  He used to write software that would manage telemetry data beamed down from experimental flights, and then moved into a lead position.  Also Matt has served for the last year and a half as the youngest Grand Knight our parish KofC chapter has had, and next week he will preside over his last meeting, when we will elect the next GK.  Now he is ready to move into Bigger and Better things!

Last night, Friday May 24, we had Vespers with the seminarians, Most Reverend Michael O. Jackels giving the homily.  Opening hymn was Come now, almighty King.  The reading was James 1:2-8.  After the ceremony, the seminarians were introduced, then went back to their seat and everyone chanted Salve Regina.

The thing that struck me most was during the homily when Bishop Jackels said to imagine that in a few years your sons will be bringing you the Eucharist with their own hands.

Well I figured in a few years these kids were going to be preaching to me, so I figured if I want to influence anything I'd better do it now.   I got my :twocents: in with several seminarians, for one thing to encourage them as they learn the cataphatic traditions, balance it with some of the cataphatic.  So not just knowledge of dogma and morality and history and tradition, etc.  Those are the structure that builds the vine that carries the word into future generations, and the Church does a great job of preserving that.  But we are the branches, and each person needs nourishment in the form of both sides.  I told them what you know makes you smart, but what you know that you don't know, makes you wise.  Some priests and my daughter's high school religion teacher agreed that we should have more apophatic classes in high school.  So I plan to see if I can influence that, but I'm not holding my breath.

I also told a few seminarians my ideas about the wide path and the narrow path.  They were great audiences; they were mostly a few years younger than Matt.  They were eager to hear what I had to say, and were enthusiastic listeners.  It was an amazing experience, to be there under those circumstances.  All of a sudden Matt was on the spotlight in center stage, and the leftover light was spilling on St. Julie and me.  People who didn't care if we lived or died yesterday, (and yes some of them knew us and usually look right through us when they have to look at all) were coming up to us all excited and making nice to us.  (Hee hee hee.)

We owe WordsFree to Matt, who helped set it up, hosts our site along with several others, and was actually one of the original authors of the forum software we use.  So he does our upgrades and fixes WF when something goes wrong.  Smiley

Here are a few photos of the event.  This shows Matt with me and his mom (who felt like the queen of the ball) at the event.  I wanted one of him with Bishop Jackels, since Bishop Jackels had some persuasion on him when they went together with some other priests and laity to Rome last year.  But the Bishop (also Abp.-elect, as Pope F1 is sending him to Dubuque) slipped out before the reception.  I did get about 30 seconds to talk to him before the ceremony, so at least Julie and I got to thank him for everything he's done in the diocese.

I highly recommend that if anybody wants to influence the future, go to an event to meet seminarians who would welcome hearing your ideas about God and the Church.

Some photos of the event:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 02:53:27 AM by Alan » Logged

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Lana

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 07:17:27 AM »

Absaposalutely wonderful news. I had no idea that this was going to be in his journey.
I especially like the smile on his face in the picture with his mom. He simply glows.
I think that this is a great showing that he is happy with his choices, and this matters!

Bless his journey to fullness and joy in the Lord!

Lana
Daizies

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 08:41:27 PM »

Wow, that is awesome!
Linda Clare

Westmoreland47@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 01:12:03 PM »

Congratulations!  What wonderful news.  I'm sure he'll make a good one with you as a father.

Linda Clare
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: