Faith Community at WordsFree.org
October 22, 2017, 08:31:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alan Watts - Sex & Christianity  (Read 1772 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:00:39 AM »

One thing I can't get over, is how many Christians are very anxious about sex, and about masturbation in particular.  If masturbation were made a banned topic, a good number of threads on major Christian web sites on morality would disappear.  As it is, it seems to be the "bread and butter" of some such fora.  I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it all become a non-issue.  After all, I wear glasses but I never went blind.  Grin

Here is my attempt at addressing the problem head-on.  This lecture by Alan Watts came to me at a good time in my life, and it totally helped me get a handle on the whole sexual sin thing.  It is not intended to represent Christian teachings, but he talks a great deal about Christian teachings.

Alan Watts - Sex & Christianity -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px8KKNBBvh4

It's long, but IMO it's well worth it, especially for anybody who feels persecuted and/or puzzled by Christian teachings on sexual sins.

Alan Watts (1915-1973) grew up in the Church of England, and for a time was an Anglican priest and pastor of his own parish.  Then he became a Buddhist guru.  Then he quit that and gave lots of lectures.  His specialty was explaining eastern thought to western audiences, and described those things that "can't be" described.  His philosophy and clear speaking on a number of topics have been vital factors in my own healing.

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Justicia et Pax

Justicia et Pax osculatae sunt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:57:31 AM »

Thanks for posting this, Alan. I've got confirmation class (I'm a catechist  Grin ) soon, so probably won't have time to watch it all now, but do remind me of this later. Since joining a, um, certain Catholic website, I've been AMAZED at how people get themselves into such a tizz over tiny, so-called sexual "sins"  Undecided
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 06:40:58 PM »

Thanks for posting this, Alan. I've got confirmation class (I'm a catechist  Grin ) soon, so probably won't have time to watch it all now, but do remind me of this later. Since joining a, um, certain Catholic website, I've been AMAZED at how people get themselves into such a tizz over tiny, so-called sexual "sins"  Undecided

Here's a bump to you and to your confirmation!  Any chance you were confirmed on Pentecost?  Cool

Alan

A couple different "looks" for Watts:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:45:17 PM by Alan » Logged

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: