Faith Community at WordsFree.org
August 23, 2017, 06:51:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seven deadly sins and Dante's Mountain of Purgatory  (Read 1308 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: March 01, 2013, 11:04:11 AM »

I also posted this on CAF:

I've recently learned of Dante's mountain of purgatory.

It organizes the deadly sins from bottom of the mountain to the top, in order of gravity or something.

The first at the base is pride.  Pride is where you enter the mountain, with the weight of all your sins on you.  (I'm remembering part of this and making part of it up.)

Basically the bottom three: 1) pride, 2) envy, and 3) anger, are sins of a perverted will.  The top three, 7) lust, 6) gluttony, and 5) avarice/greed are sins of passion.  Then in between we have 4) sloth.

Here a diagram I Googled that shows their relationships:

Isn't it funny that as a society we tend to focus on the sins closest to the top -- even to the worsening of those close to the bottom?  We vilify lust, gluttony, and greed.  But we brag about being proud to be this or that or to have done the other, if we are envious then we will hate the greedy.  And we express our view against the top three with "righteous" anger -- which means the louder we are the closer to God we are?  It's like the sins of passion are the bait and we attack them with weaponry found in our perverted sins.  Funny how we can angrily call someone with a lust problem a "pervert."  I think envy and greed can kind of go either way.  Like conservatives are greedy and liberals are all about envy, to draw upon the stereotypes.

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
JimR-OCDS

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 06:01:01 PM »

This is interesting.

I read Dante's Inferno, many years ago, but never got to Purgatory or Paradise.

I'll have to add the two on my reading list, which is akin to a grain of sand on a beach.

Jim
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:27:20 AM »

Well, you got further than I did in that Jim!! I've had the book since I was a teenager and have never gotten past the first page.

But then I have an entire bookcase dedicated to books that have bookmarks in them.  Cheesy For the last few years though I've taken to letting God put the proper book in my hand when it's time to start something new so I seldom now end up with one that I start and then set aside, unless I just get really excited when one arrives but then put it away to go back to what I was in the middle of.

I totally agree though that the focus on things tends to be on the "visible" sins that others are so good at making us feel guilty about. And as I mentioned in another place, there is probably nothing I find more amusing than when I find myself being proud of my humility in something. It is truly sad that the degree of pride, and the feeling of infallibility that goes with that, is so pervasive within the Church. It can only breed a culture of intolerance and a lack of mercy.

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: