Faith Community at WordsFree.org
December 15, 2017, 06:46:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome Lost_Sheep  (Read 1622 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: November 29, 2012, 07:43:25 AM »

Dear Lost_Sheep,

I'm glad you came to check us out! 

Here were are at all different stages in our faith walk, and we don't even necessarily agree, but we respect and support each other.  We don't have to worry about holier-than-thou dive bombers coming in and sniping our posts and making discussion impossible.

Feel free to look around, browse and post anywhere the software will let you.  The only real rule we have here is that we respect the dignity and the opinions of each other.  We had some cool rules John wrote up once, but that's what they boil down to.  Smiley

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Lost_Sheep

Job with an attitude

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 12:37:42 PM »

Thank you Alan for the invitation, and as my screen name implies, I often feel like a lost sheep.

Vital Statistics.

Male, 54 y.o. Cradle Catholic.

I grew up in a two-parent three child family.  My mother is Catholic but my father was Lutheran during my childhood, but he converted to Catholicism about 25 years ago. Nevertheless, I was baptized Catholic and my upbringing was pretty much Catholic.  Went to Catholic school, was an altar boy, First Communion, Confirmation etc.  I married a Catholic woman (also with a strong Catholic upbringing) 27 years ago and we are still together.  No kids; two dogs. We dutifully attend mass every Sunday, I serve as a usher and I am also a 4th Degree Knight of Columbus.  By all outward appearances, I am a model Catholic.

And I am miserable.

I suffer from clinical depression.  I have been being treated for it since it was diagnosed about 18 years ago but hindsight tells me I probably had it since childhood.

My relationship with God is probably best described as a Love-Hate one. Some days I swear by Him and some days I swear *at* Him. I truly believe that He has singled me out and is deliberately causing the events in my life to steer me towards unhappiness.

As far as the Catholic side of things and the big issues, here are some of my thoughts.

Abortion: I am staunchly pro-life. Abortion should be prohibited except where the life of the mother is at stake. No exceptions for rape or incest.  I'm still mixed on if pre-natal testing indicates severe birth defects.

Birth Control: My opinion on ABC goes against the Church's position.  To me, ABC is the lesser of two evils compared to abortion.  It is better to prevent an unwanted child in the first place than to conceive one and have it aborted, or otherwise not wanted. One thing I do not like, though, is the HHS mandate for insurance providers to provide ABC by persons or business owners who have moral objections to such things.

Sex: I feel that in some cases sex outside of marriage is OK.  I do not like the idea of cheating on one's spouse nor do I like the idea of two irresponsible teenagers doing it.  But a mature, adult couple, neither of whom is married should be free to engage in sex provided there is mutual consent and no coercion.

Divorce and remarriage:  I think the Church needs to be more generous and liberal to granting annulments to the injured party when a marriage fails.  If one person commits adultery, the other person should be freely allowed to remarry and stay within the good graces of the Church. Same goes for victims of domestic violence.

Gay Marriage:  I am 100% against gay "marriages" period.  I do not even like the idea of civil unions.  I believe that homosexuality is either a chosen or indoctrinated lifestyle and that no one is "born that way."

There is too much sex on TV and everywhere else for that matter. I believe the man is the "boss" in the family. I am pro-death penalty and think it needs to be used more often and carried out within days of a conviction.  I favor a strong military defense and fewer entitlement and social welfare except for wounded veterans and people with a bona fide disability.  Laziness is not a bona fide disability.  Everyone should carry their own weight.

I look forward to lively discussions here and I will join in whenever I feel I have something to contribute. And be careful about asking me for my opinion because I will tell you in no uncertain terms.  Grin

-Lost Sheep
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:04:28 AM by Lost_Sheep » Logged

Lost Sheep
If you are offended by the opinions I express, you can only imagine the ones I keep to myself.
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:01:09 PM »

I married a Catholic woman (also with a strong Catholic upbringing) 27 years ago and we are still together.  No kids; two dogs. We dutifully attend mass every Sunday, I serve as a usher and I am also a 4th Degree Knight of Columbus.  By all outward appearances, I am a model Catholic.

Nice.  I am third degree, have wonderful wife and six kids 3b3g, and one grandson now about five weeks old.

And I am miserable.

I suffer from clinical depression.  I have been being treated for it since it was diagnosed about 18 years ago but hindsight tells me I probably had it since childhood.

I'd like to hear more about it, if you want to disclose.  Or you could open a thread in the member only section if you'd rather not out here.  Is this something constant?  Does it interfere with your basic daily activities?  Do you suffer loss of hope?

My relationship with God is probably best described as a Love-Hate one. Some days I swear by Him and some days I swear *at* Him. I truly believe that He has singled me out and is deliberately causing the events in my life to steer me towards unhappiness.

I never would have understood that until I received healing from the Lord after going through many years of trials and social/mental/emotional/spiritual issues.

As far as the Catholic side of things and the big issues, here are some of my thoughts.

OK, thanks for stating your position on those.  Are there any in particular you feel strongly about or want to discuss?  I don't really know what others' views on these issues are, and my views don't necessarily fit with others think my views should be.   Roll Eyes That's why they are my views, not their views.   Grin

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
OneSheep

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 12:49:26 AM »

Thank you Alan for the invitation, and as my screen name implies, I often feel like a lost sheep.

Bleat once in awhile, and we will find you, works for me.  Baaaaa.

My, you do have a variety of strong opinions.  Feel free, anytime you like, to agree with all of my opinions. Wink

I am pretty much a newbie, but I have found that Alan does a great job of keeping things going (and inviting new people like me.)  A few of us like Richard Rohr, so Alan posts his meditations here, but again, feel free to agree with everything Fr. Rohr says.  You do have to be patient with this site, there are lulls in the flow sometimes, just have to remember to come back. 

Thanks for sharing all the personal information.  Isn't it interesting how people describe themselves by what opinions they hold?  It kinda struck me, but its so common.  My entire mineral content is going to change about every 7 years, if I remember right, but my opinions?  They can last for decades. 

welcome!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: