Faith Community at WordsFree.org
September 19, 2018, 12:05:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to love God  (Read 8755 times)
OneSheep

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 10:07:57 AM »

How to love God? The Gift of Charity(Perfect love) through the Holy Spirit.Loving him as much as the grace given to me ,through God's Spirit, which my focus becomes on Heavenly things and his perfect love for me in Jesus Christ. Next to become fully infused with his grace to love myself, no matter my short comings, because I was created in his image and likeness. I'm God's finger print, there is only one of me that can fulfill his will for me.Through this Charity(Perfect love) the Holy Spirit gives the grace, I can then pass on this Charity to all others. Ego and self are out of it, God is the center of it all through Jesus Christ and God's Spirit. That is how I love,adore,am in awe,of his presence with me everyday of my life. Smiley

Thanks for the post, Patrick!  Well stated.  The only difference with me is that I pretty much can't keep ego or self out of it, it seems to come with me wherever I go.  We get along fine.  My ego helps motivate me.  Just have to keep it in check.
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 10:30:07 AM »

How to love God? The Gift of Charity(Perfect love) through the Holy Spirit.Loving him as much as the grace given to me ,through God's Spirit, which my focus becomes on Heavenly things and his perfect love for me in Jesus Christ. Next to become fully infused with his grace to love myself, no matter my short comings, because I was created in his image and likeness. I'm God's finger print, there is only one of me that can fulfill his will for me.Through this Charity(Perfect love) the Holy Spirit gives the grace, I can then pass on this Charity to all others. Ego and self are out of it, God is the center of it all through Jesus Christ and God's Spirit. That is how I love,adore,am in awe,of his presence with me everyday of my life. Smiley

Thanks for the post, Patrick!  Well stated.  The only difference with me is that I pretty much can't keep ego or self out of it, it seems to come with me wherever I go.  We get along fine.  My ego helps motivate me.  Just have to keep it in check.

You just gave me an idea.  I think that it may actually be impossible for us to "willfully" get our ego and self out of it.  This is like thinking yourself out of existence.  Or having no thoughts on purpose.  Anything we do willfully is an act of the ego, is it not?  Is not the will one of the functions of the ego, and do we want to free it from fear, worry, anxiety, and shame?

It's like something has to reach through the boundary, to pierce the Cloud of the Unknowing.  To force your ego and self into submission.  

About the ego.  At least we can build a case that we would like to get rid of it.  I've probably posted this little video in other contexts, but for those who haven't seen it yet, here is Alan Watts talking about the ego:

Alan Watts:  "I"

Just for grins I want to share another Alan Watts video:

Alan Watts:  "Madness"

Alan
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:32:19 AM by Alan » Logged

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Patrick1540

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 05:40:42 PM »

Thanks for the post, Patrick!  Well stated.  The only difference with me is that I pretty much can't keep ego or self out of it, it seems to come with me wherever I go.  We get along fine.  My ego helps motivate me.  Just have to keep it in check.

You just gave me an idea.  I think that it may actually be impossible for us to "willfully" get our ego and self out of it.  This is like thinking yourself out of existence.  Or having no thoughts on purpose.  Anything we do willfully is an act of the ego, is it not?  Is not the will one of the functions of the ego, and do we want to free it from fear, worry, anxiety, and shame?

It's like something has to reach through the boundary, to pierce the Cloud of the Unknowing.  To force your ego and self into submission.  

About the ego.  At least we can build a case that we would like to get rid of it.  I've probably posted this little video in other contexts, but for those who haven't seen it yet, here is Alan Watts talking about the ego:

Alan Watts:  "I"

Just for grins I want to share another Alan Watts video:

Alan Watts:  "Madness"

Alan
Ego and self will always be a problem, you are right Alan. Paul talk about this all the time.We all get caught up in ego,the flesh once in a while. I believe that is why Paul desired for Heaven so much. You do basically think yourself out of existance. To be present with the body is to be absent from our home. The closer we move towards God's love, the less we want to be here as pilgrams in a foreign land.Paul had so much love for God that is my he wanted to be Martyred for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.They more we get into God's Spirit, the less we want to exist here on earth.
God Bless
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 05:48:51 PM »

Ego and self will always be a problem, you are right Alan. Paul talk about this all the time.We all get caught up in ego,the flesh once in a while. I believe that is why Paul desired for Heaven so much.

You do basically think yourself out of existance.

To be present with the body is to be absent from our home. The closer we move towards God's love, the less we want to be here as pilgrams in a foreign land.Paul had so much love for God that is my he wanted to be Martyred for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.They more we get into God's Spirit, the less we want to exist here on earth.
God Bless

Well, you're engaging my video triggers today.  I couldn't help but think of my one and only beloved "CCR" artist Rich Mullins.

Here he is in "You did not have a home."  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2kLCj4qZc4

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
OneSheep

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 10:42:11 AM »

Ego is perhaps too narrow a word.  I think a big part of what Jesus was about was overcoming our nature, as a whole:

Hunger- Fast
Status- "leave your father and mother"
Sex - avoid sin
Materialism - Poverty
React automatically - Turn the cheek
hate your enemy- love your enemy

So I think it is about will overcoming nature.  Once it is overcome, then it is a nature much easier to reconcile with.

BTW, my computer has been dead the last few days, so my on-time is very limited. 
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »

Hmmm, then from what you're saying, when someone slaps me on one cheek and I turn the other so they can kiss my a** that's not really what Jesus was saying?

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
OneSheep

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »

Hmmm, then from what you're saying, when someone slaps me on one cheek and I turn the other so they can kiss my a** that's not really what Jesus was saying?

You know, that is seriously what some people are close to thinking.  Have you heard the one about turning the cheek so that the striker has to use his other hand, which is easier to stop (something like that)?

I am suddenly remembering The Gospel According to Biff.  It's pretty funny. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: