Faith Community at WordsFree.org
September 19, 2018, 11:43:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rohr Meditations -- Week of 10/28/2012 -- EXPERIENCING THE HOLY  (Read 7809 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: October 28, 2012, 06:31:59 AM »

Richard's Daily Meditations

EXPERIENCING THE HOLY

Rudolph Otto in his book The Idea of the Holy says that when someone has
an authentic experience of the Holy, they find themselves caught up in
two opposite movements at the same time: the mysterium tremendum and the
mysterium fascinosum, a scary mystery and a very alluring mystery. We
both draw back from and are pulled forward into a kind of liminal space
where we are not at home at all and yet totally at home for perhaps the
first time.

In the mysterium tremendum, you know God as far and beyond—unreachable
and beyond description! Here you experience God as dreadful and fearful,
as the one who has all the power, and in whose presence I am utterly
powerless. People at that stage tend to become overwhelmed by a sense of
separation or alienation. If you stop there, you either become an
atheist, an agnostic, or a loyal but distant soldier. The defining of
sin and sin management becomes the very nature of religion.

But simultaneously with this dimension is an opposite feeling of
fascination, allurement, and seduction, a being pulled and drawn into
something very satisfying and inviting. This is the mysterium
fascinosum. If you only have the alluring part without the deep
reverence for this mystery, you get merely sentimental and emotional
religion, usually without any real social consequences (“Sweet
Jesus” Christianity, as it is sometimes called). Otto says if you
don't have both, you have not had a true or full experience of “The
Holy.”

Prayer:
My deepest me is God!

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:48:44 AM »

October 29, 2012

EXPERIENCING THE HOLY

Mysticism begins when the totally transcendent image of God starts to
recede; and there’s also a deepening sense of God as imminent,
present, here, now, within me. Augustine’s line was “God is more
intimate to me than I am to myself” or “more me than I am myself.”
St. Catherine of Genoa shouted it in the streets, “My deepest me is
God!” In other words, the One Beyond is also one with me. The delight
is total.

You must overcome your primary alienation to know truthfully—and what
you learn is that the Beyond One is doing the knowing through you! You
are not alone. The gap has been overcome from the other side. God is no
longer “out there.” At this point, it’s not like one has a new
relationship with God; it’s like one has a whole new God! “God
himself is my counselor, and at night my innermost being instructs
me,” says the Psalmist (16:7 [1]).

[1]: http://biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalms+16:7&version=NIV;MSG;DRA;KJV

The mystics are those who are let in on this secret mystery of God’s
love affair with all souls, but with their soul in particular; and that
God loves me just as I need to be loved. It’s absolutely our unique
love affair, and that sets the whole thing on a different and deeper
ground than mere organized religion can ever achieve by itself.

Prayer:
My deepest me is God!

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »

The gap has been overcome from the other side.

Finally, something that makes sense...i have been frustrated reading about a very dear topic. I keep coming back, but the linguistic verbosity is white noise to my senses, and i can make nothing out of what is said. This does not mean Roar does not make sense, he simply is not speaking of what i know, and the rest seems to be as meaningful as a train wreck. Gosh i hate big words, and the feeling of being spoken over. Roar in no way is doing this, but my ego wants to blame someone..."  Undecided "
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 04:30:11 PM »

Lana, please ask for explanations if there is a subject that seems to interest you but has his wording scratching your head. I'll do my best to tell you what I see him saying in a way we can relate to.

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:35:45 PM »

I think i just made a connection John. There is no where i can connect because my connection is not like theirs. They use analogies i can not relate to. They use the bible, they use scripture, they use terminologies from past theologians.  I have no link with them, and it feels much like the oddity that i feel i am. It simply put, makes me feel like i don't fit in. And i do not fit in at church, and i ......well what i am getting at is this, maybe because i have no one to share analogies with...maybe it is't real. But it is to me, so shut your mouth, keep it within, or you'll be ridiculed.

I know a lot of this is not so, but this past week or so i have been down a very dark road. I know i will feel stupid latter, but it is real right now. The feeling of not ever going to get to the Garden again (my prayer life that i deem mystical)

Lana
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 05:16:41 AM »

October 30, 2012

EXPERIENCING THE HOLY

If we just stay on the mysterium tremendum side of the spectrum,
religion is defined by exclusionary purity codes that always separate
things into sacred and profane. God is still distant and scary. Thus our
job is to put ourselves on the side of only “sacred” things and to
stay apart from worldly or material things, even though Jesus shows no
such preference himself.

After the beginnings of mystical experience, one finds that what makes
something secular or profane is precisely to live on the surface of
anything. It’s not that the sacred is over here and the profane is
over there. Everything is profane if you live on the surface of it, and
everything is sacred if you go into the depths of it—even your sin.
Jesus lived and loved the depths of things, as all mystics do.

So the division for the mystic is not between the secular and the
sacred, but between the superficial and the profound. Karl Rahner, the
German Jesuit, who was an expert at Vatican II, loved to call this
“the mysticism of ordinary life.”

Prayer:
My deepest me is God!

ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 09:21:37 AM »

I think i just made a connection John. There is no where i can connect because my connection is not like theirs. They use analogies i can not relate to. They use the bible, they use scripture, they use terminologies from past theologians.  I have no link with them, and it feels much like the oddity that i feel i am. It simply put, makes me feel like i don't fit in. And i do not fit in at church, and i ......well what i am getting at is this, maybe because i have no one to share analogies with...maybe it is't real. But it is to me, so shut your mouth, keep it within, or you'll be ridiculed.

I know a lot of this is not so, but this past week or so i have been down a very dark road. I know i will feel stupid latter, but it is real right now. The feeling of not ever going to get to the Garden again (my prayer life that i deem mystical)

Lana

I understand what you're saying Lana. There is nothing stupid about it though. You know what you know and it's ok to not know what you don't know. Most of it is just "knowledge" anyway and most people just use it to beat other people over the head with whether their knowledge is better than somebody else's knowledge. That is a point that Richard makes very often.

Your intuitive mystical knowledge is, in the end, what brings you into a relationship with God that most of the world would give everything they have for. I also understand that feeling cut off from that right now has brought you to a very lonely place. It may be that the headaches are just dragging everything down right now that you feel as isolated as you do. Or it may be what is known as a "dark night" time for you. I have certainly had my own "dry" times when God just felt unreal and unavailable to me and all the religious and spiritual felt like a waste of time.

Please never feel that your questions are stupid or not worth asking. If you want to keep them in a less visible place that is fine; we have many ways to skin that cat. Unlike some places though I don't think anyone here is going to be judging you or your questions. I know I much more often appreciate the insights your questions bring and the opportunity to look more deeply into something I might have been taking for granted.

This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 11:34:02 AM »

I understand what you're saying Lana. There is nothing stupid about it though. You know what you know and it's ok to not know what you don't know. Most of it is just "knowledge" anyway and most people just use it to beat other people over the head with whether their knowledge is better than somebody else's knowledge. That is a point that Richard makes very often.

Exactly.  From my point of view, I could shoot a person who gives me a bunch of information and data, only to find they really don't know what the hell they were talking about.  When Lana tells you something, you know she isn't just making it up because the clarity and the focus are too convincing.

Your intuitive mystical knowledge is, in the end, what brings you into a relationship with God that most of the world would give everything they have for.

To me, someone who has that clarity of vision, must have very good "faith eyes."

Luke 10:23-24
Turning to the disciples in private he said, “Blessed are the eyes that see what you see.  For I say to you, many prophets and kings desired to see what you see, but did not see it, and to hear what you hear, but did not hear it.”

I also understand that feeling cut off from that right now has brought you to a very lonely place. It may be that the headaches are just dragging everything down right now that you feel as isolated as you do. Or it may be what is known as a "dark night" time for you. I have certainly had my own "dry" times when God just felt unreal and unavailable to me and all the religious and spiritual felt like a waste of time.

Amen.

Unlike some places though I don't think anyone here is going to be judging you or your questions. I know I much more often appreciate the insights your questions bring and the opportunity to look more deeply into something I might have been taking for granted.

Yes.  Lana brings life to WordsFree.  Cool

Alan
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:35:52 AM by Alan » Logged

Daizies

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »

You know what you know and it's ok to not know what you don't know.

This just struck me as so totally awesome.  I think I need to make this my motto.  I know what I know, and it's okay to not know what I don't know (ie I don't have to know everything to be okay - that's a revolutionary concept for me).
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 07:51:47 PM »

Dark Night sounds hopeful compared to a dark week...but i am sure the dark night really means a time in your life that seems not right, lonely and desperate...because of the disconnection with God or other forms of mental health issues. The headache exhaustion seems a very deem able reason for this way i am feeling. Doc asked me to stay away from coffee nuts cheese...some of the regular migraine triggers.

OMG...i know what has given me the painful headaches....OH how stupid of me to forget!! The library at school for the girls has a teachers lounge a few doors down. It was so cold  awaiting the heat to be turned on for the season, that i was warming up with the available Kurig coffee maker. I was drinking 2-3 vanilla biscotti flavored coffee per day. I am not a coffee drinker, and in the past i have been, but upon the second coffee, i'd get a migraine. I stupidly forgot they triggered my migraines ....crap crap crap! No wonder the headache was not going away...i was medicating to take them away, and then drinking more.

update...aprox 10 pm...kept food down (chicken and rice soup) Headache gone!!! Hope it is gone for good!!!!!!!!!!
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 08:02:51 PM »

You know what you know and it's ok to not know what you don't know. Most of it is just "knowledge" anyway and most people just use it to beat other people over the head with whether their knowledge is better than somebody else's knowledge.

John, this is true...i keep forgetting that it is what God has given me. Everyone is given different gifts, and have different views. Mine is just harder to articulate...but that is ok. He knows i am a visual learner, and has given my heart what it needed to move forward.

When Lana tells you something, you know she isn't just making it up because the clarity and the focus are too convincing.

Oh Alan, this is Gold to the treasure chest of my heart...thank you!

Luke 10:23-24
Turning to the disciples in private he said, “Blessed are the eyes that see what you see.  For I say to you, many prophets and kings desired to see what you see, but did not see it, and to hear what you hear, but did not hear it.”

What a colorful way to word it Alan..."faith eyes" I kinda like that...sounds peaceful.

Your intuitive mystical knowledge is, in the end, what brings you into a relationship with God that most of the world would give everything they have for. I also understand that feeling cut off from that right now has brought you to a very lonely place.

John, you hit the nail on the head here...it is like i am being kept from a dear dear friend...we keep missing meetings, and reschedule, and reschedule..and it is frustrating...i want more. So now to discover what is keeping us apart... circumstance or me. If it is me, then what am i hiding from unknowingly. I have to put my investigation hat on...

Lana
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 09:25:09 PM »

Dark Night sounds hopeful compared to a dark week...but i am sure the dark night really means a time in your life that seems not right, lonely and desperate...because of the disconnection with God or other forms of mental health issues.

When I think of Dark Night, I think of a purification that souls can go through.  The definitive text on the subject is "The Dark Night of the Soul," by St. John of the Cross.  I think it is probably the most well known of mystical writing, and St. John of the Cross has the distinction of being one of the handful or so who have been dubbed "Doctors of the Church."

It is a period where all sorts of things happen.  I have determined that I did, indeed, undergo a Dark Night lasting from June 8, 2001 to October 3, 2012 when I finally was able to declare it "over."  Basically it does the same things as purgatory, but it happens while you're still here on earth so hopefully you can get out of it and enjoy an upgrade to life.  For me it was quite violent mentally and emotionally; you witnessed that in the expression of my mental illness I've had since 2001, until now.  For me, this past month has made it worth everything that has ever happened to me ... and I mean everything, whether I considered it "good" or "bad."  Rom 8:28 -- "We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose."

My favorite part of the book is the poetry that sums it all up.  The book is actually explains the stanzas, and is organized in the same order.  These stanzas used to make me cry and gave me hope, because I could feel myself in them.  But now that it's over, it is suweeet.

STANZAS OF THE SOUL

1. One dark night,
      fired with love's urgent longings
        -- ah, the sheer grace! --
       I went out unseen,
      my house being now all stilled.

2. In darkness, and secure,
        by the secret ladder, disguised,
       -- ah, the sheer grace! --
      in darkness and concealment,
      my house being now all stilled.

3. On that glad night,
        in secret, for no one saw me,
      nor did I look at anything,
      with no other light or guide
      than the one that burned in my heart.

4. This guided me
           more surely than the light of noon
      to where he was awaiting me
       -- him I knew so well --
      there in a place where no one appeared.

5. O guiding night!
        O night more lovely than the dawn!
      O night that has united
      the Lover with his beloved,
      transforming the beloved in her Lover.

6. Upon my flowering breast
        which I kept wholly for him alone,
      there he lay sleeping,
      and I caressing him
      there in a breeze from the fanning cedars.

7. When the breeze blew from the turret,
        as I parted his hair,
        it wounded my neck
      with its gentle hand,
      suspending all my senses.

8. I abandoned and forgot myself,
        laying my face on my Beloved;
      all things ceased; I went out from myself,
      leaving my cares
      forgotten among the lilies.

The way I've felt this past month, I really love the part right at the end:  "all things ceased; I went out from myself, leaving my cares forgotten among the lilies."

update...aprox 10 pm...kept food down (chicken and rice soup) Headache gone!!! Hope it is gone for good!!!!!!!!!!

Woo HOO!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 05:57:03 AM by Alan » Logged

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 02:02:12 AM »

October 31, 2012

EXPERIENCING THE HOLY
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Eve of All Hallows ("Holiness")

Any true experience of the Holy gives one the experience of being
secretly chosen, invited, and loved, while also knowing that this
presence cannot be manipulated, used, or controlled in any way
(mysterium tremendum). Surely that is why bride and bridegroom,
invitations to banquets, and wedding celebrations are Jesus’ most
common metaphors for eternal life. They imply reciprocity, the give and
take of mutual reverence and mutual desire, and most of all, happiness.

The mystics of all religions talk of being ravished, seduced, of deep
inner acceptance, total forgiveness, mutual nakedness, immense and
endless gratitude, endless yearning, and always a desire and possibility
of more. This is religion at its best and highest and truest. The
mystics know themselves to be totally safe and completely accepted at
ever deeper levels of trust, exposure, and embrace. Isn’t this, of
course, what all of us desire at our deepest level?

Prayer:
My deepest me is God!

ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 06:38:31 AM »

You know what you know and it's ok to not know what you don't know.

This just struck me as so totally awesome.  I think I need to make this my motto.  I know what I know, and it's okay to not know what I don't know (ie I don't have to know everything to be okay - that's a revolutionary concept for me).

I think I can understand how you feel. I first heard this said at a meeting I was at with a coalition dedicated to healing the Native people. One of the founders of the coalition made that statement and a light bulb just went off in my head as I came to realize that I wasn't there to have all the answers but to learn and to allow a mutual presence that would enrich both sides.

It really is ok to be able to step back and understand that we don't have to be the ones running the world. God actually has that all in control and we can just handle our little piece and go along for the ride.

ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 06:39:42 AM »

OMG...i know what has given me the painful headaches....OH how stupid of me to forget!! The library at school for the girls has a teachers lounge a few doors down. It was so cold  awaiting the heat to be turned on for the season, that i was warming up with the available Kurig coffee maker. I was drinking 2-3 vanilla biscotti flavored coffee per day. I am not a coffee drinker, and in the past i have been, but upon the second coffee, i'd get a migraine. I stupidly forgot they triggered my migraines ....crap crap crap! No wonder the headache was not going away...i was medicating to take them away, and then drinking more.

Oh Lana, I sure hope it is something as simple as that and that you can put this episode to rest!

OneSheep

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 09:30:45 AM »

It really is ok to be able to step back and understand that we don't have to be the ones running the world. God actually has that all in control and we can just handle our little piece and go along for the ride.

I like this John. 

Which is "our little piece", though?  That's the tough part for me.  Every time I hear about discord in the world, I go back to editing a book I have written.  The editing and plot repair is harder than writing it in the first place, I've been at it for over a year, and it is very hard to get back to, it is a fiction, and you can see that most of my writing is essays.  Sometimes I am ready to just give up, to see the discord in the world and "let it all be in God's hands", but the story I am telling has never been told, not in its entirety, and I think God is calling me to stay with it. 

So, every day its the same story.  I get on CAF or here to dodge my book.  The forums are more here and now, I love the exchange of ideas.  The forums are more rewarding in the short term.
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 09:57:43 AM »

I like this John.  

Which is "our little piece", though?  That's the tough part for me.  Every time I hear about discord in the world, I go back to editing a book I have written.  The editing and plot repair is harder than writing it in the first place, I've been at it for over a year, and it is very hard to get back to, it is a fiction, and you can see that most of my writing is essays.  Sometimes I am ready to just give up, to see the discord in the world and "let it all be in God's hands", but the story I am telling has never been told, not in its entirety, and I think God is calling me to stay with it.  

So, every day its the same story.  I get on CAF or here to dodge my book.  The forums are more here and now, I love the exchange of ideas.  The forums are more rewarding in the short term.

I'm curious about the connection between discord in the world and editing your book.  Are you trying to reflect current events in the ficton story and there are new events all the time, or do you just get different ideas triggered by circumstances and events and feel a different angle might be warranted?  None of the above?

I have much to say that I want to write, though not fiction.  I don't think I'd be good at fiction.  I can lie, but I'm not sure that counts.  Grin

My own problems include the inability to stick with a starting point -- because I have so much to say I don't know how I want to organize it or anything.  Also I like writing on forums because its interactivity has a different impact on me than if I'm just writing solo.  I tweak my views with each post I write, and with each response I get, and I can channel that into spiritual growth energy and actually sense that with each post I get stronger in that I can word things clearly and more simply than last time, or usually I also feel like I've been edified or mortified by the interaction.  In either case, it all turns into good energy according to Rom 8:28.

So if I spend a day posting on forums, I feel like I'm transformed.  Also I'm getting a lot of good feedback lately, and that feels pretty good to an ego that's been bruised, marginalized, banned, etc for 11 years.  I'm having so much fun soaking it up and pride is staying mercifully at bay -- the biggest problem is gluttony.  I'm liking this so much I might do like the rat in an experiment we read about in high school psychology.  They attached electrodes to the pleasure centers of rats, and when they touched a bar it would give them a small amount of current.  They quickly caught on, and then would press the button repeatedly until they died of starvation.  So that's my biggest problem, is tearing myself away.  Good News on that score, though.  My motivation is at a near all-time high.  I've been tackling and totally owning projects that I've been putting off, dreading, or otherwise trying to wish away, for over 10 years.  So my magnetism to the screen is partially offset by my increased "interruptability" and constructive motivation.

EDIT:  I got lost in that last section but I'll leave it because it's OK.  My real issue about being transformed, is that lately my words have seemed strangely disposable.  I lose interest in them, and even hate them, soon after I release them.  Only once in a while I write something that I don't think can be trashed four hours later.  They've done their thing; they've planted their seeds ... now I feel like I need to move on.  So in forums I can type something and quick get it out there before I decide it's stupid and can the project.  But when I start to write for myself, then come back later to work on it, I hate the way I wrote it before.  Maybe that's kind of like your having to start over rewriting what you've already written?

Alan
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:47:08 AM by Alan » Logged

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 07:01:53 PM »

Here's something that comes across to me as something Richard Rohr might like:

Sioux Legend:

The Creator gathered all of creation and said, 'I want to hide something from the humans until they are ready for it. It is the realization that they create their own reality.' The eagle said, 'Give it to me, I will take it to the moon.' The Creator said, 'No one day they will go there and find it.' The salmon said, 'I will hide it on the bottom of the ocean.' 'No, they will go there too.' The buffalo said, 'I will bury it on the great plains.' The Creator said, 'They will cut into the skin of the earth and find it.' Then Grandmother Mole, who lives in the breast of Mother Earth, and who has no physical eyes but sees with spiritual eyes, said: 'Put it inside them.' And the Creator said, 'It is done.'

OneSheep

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 11:16:10 PM »

I'm curious about the connection between discord in the world and editing your book.  Are you trying to reflect current events in the ficton story and there are new events all the time, or do you just get different ideas triggered by circumstances and events and feel a different angle might be warranted?  None of the above?

I have much to say that I want to write, though not fiction.  I don't think I'd be good at fiction.  I can lie, but I'm not sure that counts.  Grin
My book addresses forgiveness, as you might guess.  It is a story speculating the order of events on the evolution of emotion and human compulsions.  Underneath, it has to do with forgiving one's shadow. 

Since much enmity is rooted in people's resentment of their shadows, when I see the discord, I get motivated to write.

My own problems include the inability to stick with a starting point -- because I have so much to say I don't know how I want to organize it or anything.  Also I like writing on forums because its interactivity has a different impact on me than if I'm just writing solo.  I tweak my views with each post I write, and with each response I get, and I can channel that into spiritual growth energy and actually sense that with each post I get stronger in that I can word things clearly and more simply than last time, or usually I also feel like I've been edified or mortified by the interaction.  In either case, it all turns into good energy according to Rom 8:28.

So if I spend a day posting on forums, I feel like I'm transformed.  Also I'm getting a lot of good feedback lately, and that feels pretty good to an ego that's been bruised, marginalized, banned, etc for 11 years.  I'm having so much fun soaking it up and pride is staying mercifully at bay -- the biggest problem is gluttony.  I'm liking this so much I might do like the rat in an experiment we read about in high school psychology.  They attached electrodes to the pleasure centers of rats, and when they touched a bar it would give them a small amount of current.  They quickly caught on, and then would press the button repeatedly until they died of starvation.  So that's my biggest problem, is tearing myself away.  Good News on that score, though.  My motivation is at a near all-time high.  I've been tackling and totally owning projects that I've been putting off, dreading, or otherwise trying to wish away, for over 10 years.  So my magnetism to the screen is partially offset by my increased "interruptability" and constructive motivation.

EDIT:  I got lost in that last section but I'll leave it because it's OK.  My real issue about being transformed, is that lately my words have seemed strangely disposable.  I lose interest in them, and even hate them, soon after I release them.  Only once in a while I write something that I don't think can be trashed four hours later.  They've done their thing; they've planted their seeds ... now I feel like I need to move on.  So in forums I can type something and quick get it out there before I decide it's stupid and can the project.  But when I start to write for myself, then come back later to work on it, I hate the way I wrote it before.  Maybe that's kind of like your having to start over rewriting what you've already written?

Yes, it was okay.  I understand.  I rarely "hate" the way I wrote something.  It is more like what you mentioned before, "learned helplessness" (or was it hopelessness?).  I know what I need to do, but since I am wrapping a story plot around the evolution of human compulsion and emotion, when I do what I call "spending some time under the hood", changing the circumstances or order or pathway of a particular emotion or compulsion, then the plot  has to be tweaked a bit too.  It gets a little overwhelming, and then I paralyze or do something else.  Seems to be my M.O. when things get tough.   
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 06:50:37 AM »

EXPERIENCING THE HOLY
Thursday, November 1, 2012
Feast of All Hallows ("Holiness")

On these “thin days,” as the ancient Celts called them, All Saints
Day and All Souls Day (Nov. 2), we are invited to be aware of deep time
when past, present, and future time all come together as one. On these
pivotal days we are reminded that our ancestors are still in us and work
with us and through us. Protestants thought it was about
“worshiping” saints, but that largely missed the point.

Actually this is a Christian meaning for reincarnation, which Christians
also called “the communion of saints” in the Apostle's Creed. This
was the common and corporate notion of the human person. It realized
that our ancestors are indeed in us and with us (as modern DNA studies
can now prove), and then early Christianity added maybe even for us! We
were quite foolish to make fun of many Native and Eastern religions,
which we dismissed as “mere ancestor worship” who usually had the
more corporate notion of personhood, far removed from the myth of modern
individualism. All Saints Day is a celebration of all of us precisely in
our togetherness, which is why the New Testament (in twenty places!)
called all God lovers “the saints.”

Prayer:
My deepest me is God!

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »

Yes, it was okay.  I understand.  I rarely "hate" the way I wrote something.  It is more like what you mentioned before, "learned helplessness" (or was it hopelessness?).  I know what I need to do, but since I am wrapping a story plot around the evolution of human compulsion and emotion, when I do what I call "spending some time under the hood", changing the circumstances or order or pathway of a particular emotion or compulsion, then the plot  has to be tweaked a bit too.  It gets a little overwhelming, and then I paralyze or do something else.  Seems to be my M.O. when things get tough.  

I'm having a hard time zooming in; I keep distracting myself.   Roll Eyes

Yes, I do have this "hate" thing that happens (not all the time -- something I love the way I wrote something) but it's more like once I write it, let it cook a while in my mind and then look back at it, it seems like a clumsy way to say it.  Like I really didn't completely understand myself what I was saying when I first wrote it, so when I look back at it it seems awkward.   Tongue

To say it another way, as I grow in my expectations of my own writing, I find that many times what I wrote very recently is already not up to standard.   Undecided

Alan
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:26:38 AM by Alan » Logged

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 04:12:24 AM »

EXPERIENCING THE HOLY
Friday, November 2, 2012
All Souls Day

“Deep time” or the communion of saints means that your goodness is
not just your own, nor is your badness merely your own. Both the
weakness and the glory of your ancestors are both within you. You carry
the lived and the unlived lives of your parents, grandparents, and
great-grandparents as far back as DNA and genomes can trace—which is
pretty far back. We are the very first generation to know that this is
literally and biologically true. Living in the communion of saints, or
in what some now call “deep time,” means we can take ourselves very
seriously (as part of the whole communion) and not too seriously at all
(precisely because we are just a part!) at the very same time. Any
excuses for ego inflation or ego deflation are both taken away from you.

This frees you from any unnecessary individual guilt—and more
positively it frees you to be full “partners in God's great triumphant
parade” (2 Corinthians 2:14 [1]). You are in on the deal and it is a
really big deal too. You are all a small part of a Big Thing! All you
can do is both suffer and enjoy the ride.

[1]: http://biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Corinthians+2:14&version=NIV;MSG;DRA;KJV

Prayer:
My deepest me is God!

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 05:31:23 AM »

I thought this was apropos:

1 Corinthians 12:12-26 (New International Version)

Unity and Diversity in the Body

12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by[a] one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.

15 Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

That is of particular interest to me today, because since God is timeless hence the Body has many souls past, present, and future, that if we haven't reconciled with the dead yet we will suffer here and now.  Is that so much a stretch from this reading?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:34:14 AM by Alan » Logged

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 05:28:34 AM »

November 3, 2012

EXPERIENCING THE HOLY

We have put our emphasis on trying to love God, which is probably a good
way to start—although we do not have a clue how to do that. What I
consistently find in the mystics is an overwhelming experience of how
God has loved them. God is the initiator, God is the doer, God is the
one who seduces them. All we can do is respond in kind, and exactly as
Meister Eckhart said, “The love by which we love God is the very same
love with which God has first loved us.”

The mystics’ overwhelming experience is of a full body blow of the
Divine loving them, the Divine radically accepting them. The rest of
their life they are trying to verbalize that, and invariably finding
ways to give that love back through forms of service, compassion and
non-stop worship. This is not to earn God's love; it’s always and only
to return God's love! “Love is repaid by love alone,” as my father,
Francis said.

Prayer:
My deepest me is God!

Daizies

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »

One of our Priests gave an excellent homily yesterday on this topic.  He was saying that the only way we know how to love God is that God loves us first, and teaches us how to love Him.  Father compared it to a baby learning from its mother how to do things - the baby only knows these things that they learn from watching their mother, so they learn to love because they are loved by their mother.  In the same way we can only learn to love God by imitating God's love for us.
I'm not explaining it nearly as well as the priest did, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: