Faith Community at WordsFree.org
October 22, 2017, 03:22:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ephesians 3:16-19  (Read 1462 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: September 28, 2012, 05:16:25 AM »

Eph 3:16-19 (NIV)

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Optional:  listen to the computer read Eph 3 at:  http://www.biblegateway.com/audio/mclean/niv/Eph.3
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:18:12 AM by Alan » Logged

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:39:16 AM »

Eph 3:16-19 (NIV)

Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.

power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

This hit me very literally.  I quoted the parts that jumped out at me, and especially the words I put in bold.

First, "... in your hearts ..."  a constant theme of spiritual directors seems to be that God is something we already have within us, not something we look for "out there somewhere."

Then, "... know ... that surpasses knowledge ..."  Isn't that excellent that there can be a "knowing" that surpasses "knowledge"?

It also reminds me of lyrics of a Rich Mullins song.  Here are the stanzas I'm thinking of.  Now we can add, "there's a knowing that surpasses all knowledge."

Excerpts from "If I Stand" by Rich Mullins...

There's more that rises in the morning
Than the sun
And more that shines in the night
Than just the moon
It's more than just this fire here
That keeps me warm
In a shelter that is larger
Than this room

And there's a loyalty that's deeper
Than mere sentiments
And a music higher than the songs
That I can sing
The stuff of Earth competes
For the allegiance
I owe only to the giver
Of all good things

There's more that dances on the prairies
Than the wind
More that pulses in the ocean
Than the tide
There's a love that is fiercer
Than the love between friends
More gentle than a mother's
When her baby's at her side

Oh well, I'll let it go at this for now.  Smiley

Alan
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:46:04 AM by Alan » Logged

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:45:31 AM »

Then, "... know ... that surpasses knowledge ..."  Isn't that excellent that there can be a "knowing" that surpasses "knowledge"?

As God well knew, knowledge can be the biggest enemy of pure dependence on Him. It was eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil that was our downfall for from there come judgment and all the evils that befall us from there.

It is no coincidence that we were told that we must again become like children--trusting and without pretense--to enter the kingdom.

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 05:46:58 PM »

When i experience, "knowing" at the core of my being, it is usually after tarrying, or a response i seem to get from Him.
It is not gathered knowledge, but rather  the glue that allowed me to make sense of something. There is no way i could
attain this knowledge on my own, but the feeling that delivered it is of the Holy Spirit, and simply is, becomes, a knowing.
Like you knew it for so long.

This knowing is a gift given, not a feeling that one comes to after thinking about something, and deducing what is or should be.

but to take learned knowledge from an educational point of view, be it self or institutionally formulated in your mind... and be over
confident in the power and delivery of the words without the faith that leaves us vulnerable...we miss the point. You can not
steer a vessel with knowledge alone. It is like saying that the trinity does not exist. They are a a works of mystery and a balance
if each part makes it work. So in knowledge, if you do not add or balance it with faith and the HS...you are emotionally stunted,
or better put...spiritually in a rut. IMHO

Lana
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: