Faith Community at WordsFree.org
December 15, 2017, 06:44:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rohr Meditations -- Week of 9/9/2012 -- CONTEMPLATIVE PRAYER  (Read 5818 times)
OneSheep

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »

It sounds like you have found some peace and place with God, Alan.  Thanks for sharing. 

Your post calls to mind a quote (paraphrased) from Fr. Rohr:  "From time to time I have met with some very holy and spiritual people who want to talk to me.  At some time in the conversation, I suggest that they pray for at least one humiliation a day."

What first occurred to me when I read that quote was "yes, we can be proud of our spiritual accomplishments, and it is best to keep that pride in check."  However, your post shows me another benefit of the "humiliation prayer".  We cannot predict a constant connection.  We get caught up in things, our emotions are triggered, we hit a rock in the road.  If we are mindful of these possibilities, then we can better survive the down times.  On the other hand, would the humiliation prayer be a self-fulfilling prophesy?  I don't know.  Here is another aspect: is a "humiliation prayer" a prayer to be "subjected to the test"?  So much to consider.

You now have “the mind of Christ”
(1 Corinthians 2:16 [1]), as presumptuous, arrogant, and scary as that might
sound.
Interesting.  Both the words "presumptuous" and "arrogant" are judgment words.  Fr. Richard is saying that it is okay to claim a "mind of Christ", in addition: to let go of our own self-judgment (and is essentially a request for others' acceptance) of the statement.

Maybe there is a time to claim a "mind of Christ" to others, I don't know.  In general, though, such a statement is likely to trigger some form of righteousness reaction in the listener.  I mean, Christ had a "mind of Christ" and he made some claims that people found blasphemous, and they crucified Him, so this is no small issue.  I think, in general, humility is the best face to show even if we do think we are different, that we have grown, for the sole purpose of not turning people off.  The reception of the good news takes precedent.  OTOH, the statement "I have been healed!" which is what you said in your post, reading between the lines, is a witness of the Good News.   

That said, again I thank you for sharing, because it is wonderful to see what a difference your faith has made in your life, and it is good to praise God and be excited about it, your faith is a gift from God. 

Now, pray for one humiliation a day... Wink

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 09:49:48 AM »

It sounds like you have found some peace and place with God, Alan.  Thanks for sharing.  

Your post calls to mind a quote (paraphrased) from Fr. Rohr:  "From time to time I have met with some very holy and spiritual people who want to talk to me.  At some time in the conversation, I suggest that they pray for at least one humiliation a day."

Humiliations are wonderful.  They are like a Good Friend pays a trick on you.  You wag you finger at the Holy Spirit and say, "you got me again!  I knew you would!  Bwahahaha!"  We model this in society.  For example, we celebrate 40 years of life with black balloons.  It's all in "good humor," humor of course meaning the chemicals in the blood.

What first occurred to me when I read that quote was "yes, we can be proud of our spiritual accomplishments, and it is best to keep that pride in check."  However, your post shows me another benefit of the "humiliation prayer".  We cannot predict a constant connection.  We get caught up in things, our emotions are triggered, we hit a rock in the road.  If we are mindful of these possibilities, then we can better survive the down times.  On the other hand, would the humiliation prayer be a self-fulfilling prophesy?  I don't know.  Here is another aspect: is a "humiliation prayer" a prayer to be "subjected to the test"?  So much to consider.

The difference between prayer and action, is that one requires use of the physical plane and its associated accidental connections, and the other doesn't.  Spiritually there is no substantial distinction.  The distinction is made through the action of accidents in the physical plane.

By subject to test, do you mean Our Lord?  Don't put Him to the test unless you are ready to take what is likely to come, or all that is possible.    I put Him to the test by asking Him to make me less proud. Grin

You now have “the mind of Christ”
(1 Corinthians 2:16 [1]), as presumptuous, arrogant, and scary as that might
sound.
Interesting.  Both the words "presumptuous" and "arrogant" are judgment words.  Fr. Richard is saying that it is okay to claim a "mind of Christ", in addition: to let go of our own self-judgment (and is essentially a request for others' acceptance) of the statement.

Maybe there is a time to claim a "mind of Christ" to others, I don't know.  In general, though, such a statement is likely to trigger some form of righteousness reaction in the listener.  I mean, Christ had a "mind of Christ" and he made some claims that people found blasphemous, and they crucified Him, so this is no small issue.  I think, in general, humility is the best face to show even if we do think we are different, that we have grown, for the sole purpose of not turning people off.  The reception of the good news takes precedent.  OTOH, the statement "I have been healed!" which is what you said in your post, reading between the lines, is a witness of the Good News.    

That said, again I thank you for sharing, because it is wonderful to see what a difference your faith has made in your life, and it is good to praise God and be excited about it, your faith is a gift from God.  

Now, pray for one humiliation a day... Wink

Yes.  I have been heaqled.  People think I'm bragging.  But to go from social leper colony  to suddenly Acceptable In Public is something to rejoice, is it not?

Alan
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:53:08 AM by Alan » Logged

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: