Faith Community at WordsFree.org
August 18, 2017, 04:00:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 Cor 1:17-21 -- Preaching the gospel, but not in wisdom of speech.  (Read 2107 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: August 26, 2012, 10:03:47 PM »

1 Cor 1:17-21  Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition:

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not in wisdom of speech, lest the cross of Christ should be made void.
For the word of the cross, to them indeed that perish, is foolishness; but to them that are saved, that is, to us, it is the power of God.
For it is written: I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the prudence of the prudent I will reject.
Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this world? Hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
For seeing that in the wisdom of God the world, by wisdom, knew not God, it pleased God, by the foolishness of our preaching, to save them that believe.

NIV:
For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.  For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”  

Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:08:04 PM by Alan » Logged

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »

?? what does NIV mean ??
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:15:13 PM »

NIV = New International Version of the Bible.

It isn't a Catholic Bible, but it's the one I use to look up things on http://www.biblegateway.com/.

So it's easier for me to quote NIV than to go look up the same passage in a Catholic Bible (I don't know of any with a good search function) and post it.  Wink

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 05:04:41 AM »

NAB vs NIV...ok, now i get it. Just looked at mine...

My New American Bible (NAB)...It is a Catholic St. Josephs Edition.
He is secretly a favored Saint of mine, as well as St. Nicholas.
Both catering to Single Motherhood and children.

But i originally mistook this bible as not being Catholic, but a standard
issue bible with easily understood script. I am MORE pleased than
ever to know (cause i did not see this) that it too is a Catholic Bible.

Cool....
Veronica97

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »

I have recently experienced this, having tried to debate the topic of abortion with "pro-choicers" on a Facebook page, many of whom seemed to be athiests or fallen away from religion.  Some even expressed the belief that God was on their side. The world thinks that suffering is useless/foolish, and so the message of suffering with Christ, is utter foolishness to them.  In fact, EVERYTHING I said to them was foolish, old-fashioned, irrelevant, and even "arrogant".  The verse came to my mind, "Don't cast your pearls before swine, lest you be trampled by them."   I suppose we Christians do seem "insane" to most of the world.  What "sane" person would want to give a child up for adoption when that can cause emotional pain for the child?  (I countered that I myself am adopted and experienced some emotional pain, but I'm still glad I'm alive).  What "sane" person would choose not to have sex outside of marriage, where children are more likely to be welcomed and cared for?  Having once had this wordly viewpoint myself, but now having the grace and light to see Truth, I am so deeply saddened that so many reject God.  God's ways are foolish to the world.
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 07:24:12 PM »

Some even expressed the belief that God was on their side.

God usually avoids taking sides IMO.  He thinks in a greater picture than being on the Side of This Person, or the Side of That Person.  So in a way, He's on everybody's side.  But what's best for everybody, is not for everybody to get their prayers answers in the precise manner the prayer asks for.

What "sane" person would want to give a child up for adoption when that can cause emotional pain for the child?  (I countered that I myself am adopted and experienced some emotional pain, but I'm still glad I'm alive).

I'm glad you're alive, too.  And now that you're with us, you have us to help you grow by building on what you already know.  You know more than the people who bring you down; you just didn't know how to say it in their language.

Have I told you yet about the Gooey people v. the Prickly people?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXi_ldNRNtM

I was a prickly for most of my life -- 42 years.  Then a gooey for about 12,now a neither -- or maybe a touch of each better explains it.  Wink

What "sane" person would choose not to have sex outside of marriage, where children are more likely to be welcomed and cared for?  Having once had this wordly viewpoint myself, but now having the grace and light to see Truth, I am so deeply saddened that so many reject God.  God's ways are foolish to the world.

It seems we look at cost/benefit, but we heavily weigh the near term.  It seem like it has benefits tonight, but causes issues for later.  But we have our little memes ("meme" is any thought -- it meant that long before there was an Internet-style meme with photos and large words) built into our psyches.  Like "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" is actually an encouragement to prefer near term rewards over long term rewards.  They don't understand "seek ye first the kingdom of God and all else will be given unto you."  That's a hard one for even the most devout and Amazingly Moral Catholics to digest.  They don't understand all Jesus is saying is, "get your thinking straight in your head instead of all the crap society has jammed into it, and suddenly you will find yourself with peace and joy, which make it much easier to face your problems and do something great with your life than trying to 'earn' your way to heaven the hard way -- like Tower of Babel, or Stairway to Heaven.

Alan

Veronica97

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:00:03 PM »

God usually avoids taking sides IMO.  He thinks in a greater picture than being on the Side of This Person, or the Side of That Person.  So in a way, He's on everybody's side.  But what's best for everybody, is not for everybody to get their prayers answers in the precise manner the prayer asks for.

Maybe "on their side" was not the best choice of words!  What I meant was, some people couldn't believe that abortion wasn't okay with God.  Of course, God is on everyone's side, loving us all and wanting us all to turn to Him.
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:02:05 PM »

God usually avoids taking sides IMO.  He thinks in a greater picture than being on the Side of This Person, or the Side of That Person.  So in a way, He's on everybody's side.  But what's best for everybody, is not for everybody to get their prayers answers in the precise manner the prayer asks for.

Maybe "on their side" was not the best choice of words!  What I meant was, some people couldn't believe that abortion wasn't okay with God.  Of course, God is on everyone's side, loving us all and wanting us all to turn to Him.

I understood you meant that.  But I was getting some multitasking distractions so I kind of hauled off and pontificated on a few hopefully-related tangents.  Grin

Alan

Veronica97

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 08:17:14 PM »

Have I told you yet about the Gooey people v. the Prickly people?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXi_ldNRNtM

I'm going to be honest with you, Alan.  My scruples mean that I choose very carefully what I watch on youtube due to fear of violating copyright laws.  I realize my fears may be overblown, but it's one of those legal issues that is so complicated (another issue discussed at length on another catholic forum), that it strikes fear directly into my heart. Shocked  I did discover something cool last night--that when you search for google images, you can search for ones that are licensed for reuse or modification, even for commercial reuse.  And I know I can watch you play hymns on youtube b/c anything written before 1923 is public domain.  I used to watch videos on youtube all the time, but then I became afraid of breaking copyright laws. Sad  I figure I might as well be honest about my fears b/c if you can't be honest, then you can't be free.  But I will say, if I hadn't watched the videos about Hell on youtube, I probably wouldn't be here today!  
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:19:13 PM by Veronica97 » Logged
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 08:42:57 PM »

Have I told you yet about the Gooey people v. the Prickly people?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXi_ldNRNtM

I'm going to be honest with you, Alan.  My scruples mean that I choose very carefully what I watch on youtube due to fear of violating copyright laws.  I realize my fears may be overblown, but it's one of those legal issues that is so complicated (another issue discussed at length on another catholic forum), that it strikes fear directly into my heart. Shocked  I did discover something cool last night--that when you search for google images, you can search for ones that are licensed for reuse or modification, even for commercial reuse.  And I know I can watch you play hymns on youtube b/c anything written before 1923 is public domain.  I used to watch videos on youtube all the time, but then I became afraid of breaking copyright laws. Sad  I figure I might as well be honest about my fears b/c if you can't be honest, then you can't be free.  But I will say, if I hadn't watched the videos about Hell on youtube, I probably wouldn't be here today!  

OK.  Mark Watts, who has rights over Alan Watts's work, collaborated with South Park animators to make the shorts.  I'll see if I can find a licensed version of it.

Alan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: