Faith Community at WordsFree.org
October 21, 2017, 01:40:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rohr Meditations -- Week of 8/26/2012 -- PARADOX  (Read 2952 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: August 26, 2012, 07:08:49 AM »

Richard's Daily Meditations

PARADOX

I don’t think the important thing is to be certain about answers
nearly as much as being serious about the questions.

When we hold spiritual questions, we meet and reckon with our
contradictions, with our own dilemmas; and we invariably arrive at a
turning point where we either evade God or meet God. Mere answers close
down the necessary struggle too quickly, too glibly, and too easily.

When we hang on the horns of dilemmas with Christ—between perfect
consistency and necessary contradictions—we find ourself in the unique
place I call “liminal space.” Reality has a cruciform shape to it
then—and we are taught best at the intersection of order and disorder,
where God alone can make sense out of the situation and we must
surrender. All real transformation of persons takes place when we’re
inside of such liminal space—with plenty of questions that are open to
God and grace and growth.

Adapted from Holding the Tension: The Power of Paradox (CD, DVD, MP3)
http://store.cacradicalgrace.org/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CFAAC&Product_Code=SP-C-25&Category_Code=CD

Prayer:
Lose my life, find my life.

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 07:29:23 AM »

One reason for presenting dilemmas and paradoxes, is to attack the integrity of the status quo of thought for any given person.  An inflexible mind, closed by beliefs, cannot be changed in a substantive way.  It has to be given problems that the mind cannot solve or even hope to have chance of solving.  This is how Jesus creates new (open) wineskins.

Some are simple contradictions that just poke pinholes in the intellectual shields:  The first shall be last, the last first.  Greatest shall be the servant among you.  You must lose your life to gain it.

Others are contradictions that speak against mindsets that go with particular group identity:  Good Samaritan, the tax collector justified over the Pharisee, whoever gives a child a cup of water in My name will not lose his reward, He eats with tax collectors and sinners.

Then other contradictions involved judging individual people:  woman washing his feet with tears, anointing Him with oil, eating without washing, picking grain on the sabbath, the adulteress ready to be stoned.

Others involved trying to show how different a mindset we'll have when we see the kingdom, compared to before:  Before we talk about which of eight men will be her husband, but in the kingdom there is no marriage apparently.

Then there are those stories that give more allegorical descriptions of the kingdom:  the kingdom is like a treasure hidden in a field.  The kingdom is like a man sowing seeds.  Like a mustard seed.  Like yeast.  Like a merchant buying fine pearls.  Like a net that was put down and caught many fish.  Like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants.  A landowner hiring workers.  A wedding banquet.

Then there were the miracles He performed physically, for the sole purpose of proving to their worldly minds the He had the authority to say bizarre crap like He was saying, and -- and this is the part I'm taking to heart in operating WF -- saying the man who believes in Him will do greater works.  That doesn't mean I'm better than He, but if I believe in Him then I can leverage off His work and take it to the next step wherever the Spirit leads me.  The loaves and fishes (just like the yeast in the kingdom).  The coin out of the fish's mouth.  Cursing the tree.  Healing the sick.

What I've found, is that the literal meanings of all of these things are not important at all.  What is important is the impact they have on our mind.  It is like planting seeds.  It's just as much like planting explosive charges across this structure that is "the way we think."

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 07:38:12 AM »

I just thought of two more reasons Jesus came "to divide."

He came to divide us from our "tunnel vision" thinking.

He came to divide us from each other, and get us fighting, because that's when we really learn -- is when we have competition.  That's like Jesus playing the role of dishonest servant.  To the Church it looks like He's an anarchist.  But really, He's using his knowledge of men, being one himself, to manipulate us into arguing about arguments that cannot be won, but much is learned from the debate.

Alan

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 06:35:54 AM »

August 27,2012

PARADOX

God is the only one we can surrender to without losing ourselves. It’s
a paradox. I am increasingly convinced that all true spirituality has
the character of paradox to it, precisely because it is always holding
together the whole of reality, which is always “Both/And.”
Everything except God is both attractive and non-attractive, light and
darkness, passing and eternal, life and death. There are really no
exceptions.

A paradox is something that appears to be a contradiction, but from
another perspective is not a contradiction at all. Paradox admits that
every profound truth is countered by another, and usually less
flattering, profound truth.

You and I are living paradoxes, which everybody except ourselves sees.
If you can hold and forgive the contradictions within yourself, you can
normally do it everywhere else, too.

Prayer:

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 03:13:51 AM »

August 27, 2012

PARADOX

Monday, August 20, 2012
Feast of St. Augustine

Jesus is giving us a win-win worldview (which is why it is called Good
News!), but what the ego invariably does with the Gospel is make it into
a win-lose game. That’s the only way the dualistic mind can think.
You’re either in or you’re out. It defines itself largely by what it
is not. The mystical or non-dual mind is alone capable of win-win.

Yet we don’t know how to include, how to forgive, how to pour mercy
and compassion and patience upon events as God apparently does.
Augustine of Hippo, a man filled with contradictions, was a master at
holding those contradictions within himself and before God. He describes
the power and simultaneously the deep powerlessness of true God
experience. Faith absolutely knows and yet it does not know at all—and
is content with this! Thus true believers are very humble and yet
quietly confident in the same moment.

Prayer:

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 05:31:19 AM »

August 29, 2012

PARADOX

When Christianity aligns itself with power (and the mindset of power,
which is the need to be right and certain one is right) there’s simply
very little room for the darkness of faith; that spacious place where
God is actually able to form us.

So when we speak of paradox, I’m trying to open up that space where
you can “fall into the hands of the living God” (Hebrews 10:31 [1]),
because YOU are not in control and only God is right. That is always the
space of powerlessness, vulnerability, and letting go. Faith happens in
that wonderful place, and hardly ever when we have all the power and can
hold no paradoxes. Thus you see why faith will invariably be a minority
and suspect position.

[1]: http://biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+10:31&version=NIV;MSG;DRA;KJV

Prayer:

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 05:54:08 AM »

August 30, 2012

PARADOX

If God is “crucified flesh” for Paul, and that is what he has fallen
in love with, then everything is a disguise: weakness is really
strength, wisdom is really foolishness, death is really life, matter is
really spirit, religion is often slavery, and sin itself is actually the
trap door into salvation. People must recognize what a revolutionary
thinker Paul was with such teachings as these; and we made him into a
mere moralistic churchman.

So the truth lies neither in the total affirmation nor in the total
denial of either side of things, but precisely in the tug of war between
the two. Hold on to that, and you will become wise and even holy. But be
prepared to displease those on either entrenched side.

Prayer:

ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 09:09:04 AM »

But be prepared to displease those on either entrenched side.

I have certainly found that to be the case in both the spiritual and the secular. When you try to stay objective and above it all, trying to concede that there is likely truth on both sides of the issue, you won't please either side.

On the spiritual side you get accused of being the "lukewarm" that God will spew from His mouth according to Revelation 3:16.

On the secular side the prevailiing attitude increasingly seems to be the very polarized "you're either with me or against me" with no middle ground accepted. This is especially true in politics but it jumps up in many other places just as badly. Moderation and mediation are dying forms.  Cry

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 09:17:45 AM »

Some people love the person who is lukewarm, for it makes their path or agenda more attainable.
But this also lends truth that they are willing to use you for all its worth. It is hard to be a people pleaser
because the one "people" that always gets bumped to the bottom of the list is...self.

Luke warm is an easy path...to easy for me because it represents a maybe...not defined.
But i mean this in the eyes of beliefs and values...not challenges to reach higher.

Lana
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 09:22:45 AM »

But be prepared to displease those on either entrenched side.

I have certainly found that to be the case in both the spiritual and the secular. When you try to stay objective and above it all, trying to concede that there is likely truth on both sides of the issue, you won't please either side.

It's just like anything else.  Each side has agenda.  One is go do A, one is to do B, and one to reconcile A and B.  Each one has a vested interest in dominating the other two.

On the spiritual side you get accused of being the "lukewarm" that God will spew from His mouth according to Revelation 3:16.

When I quit looking at this like the Church behaves and thinks, I got a new interpretation of it.  For one thing, if you are eaten by God, digested and spit out of His mouth, what more intimate connection to God can there be?  Is this not like what we do to Him in the Eucharist?  Those who are lukewarm, who behave, etc. make themselves available to incorporate into God's next batch of ... whatever, by virtue of being re-digested and starting over.

Besides, God spits some pretty awesome things out of His mouth.  Fire, water, solar systems, Truth, creatures of all sorts  ... who knows what He'd use me and those in the "same boat" to make?  But here's the rub -- I'm not the only one He eats, so all of us get mixed together and form the next heavenly Spittle.  And face it, if I were a blade of grass and God were a sheep, I'd want Him to graze on me or I'd feel left out.

Same boat...   hmmmm  ...

Now I'm thinking of Nicely Nicely, in Guys and Dolls, singing about rocking the Boat to Heaven:  (Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat.)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7kzsZreG0o

On the secular side the prevailiing attitude increasingly seems to be the very polarized "you're either with me or against me" with no middle ground accepted. This is especially true in politics but it jumps up in many other places just as badly. Moderation and mediation are dying forms.  Cry

Amen to that!!!  Angry

Alan
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:24:43 AM by Alan » Logged

ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 10:05:45 AM »

Some people love the person who is lukewarm, for it makes their path or agenda more attainable.
But this also lends truth that they are willing to use you for all its worth. It is hard to be a people pleaser
because the one "people" that always gets bumped to the bottom of the list is...self.

Luke warm is an easy path...to easy for me because it represents a maybe...not defined.
But i mean this in the eyes of beliefs and values...not challenges to reach higher.

Lana

There is a big difference though between lukewarm and either "moderate" or "objective" depending on how you want to put it.

A lukewarm person usually has no vested interest and is trying to take the easy way out or make himself most acceptable to those around him.

A moderate or objective person is more after finding the truth and the greater good rather than pleasing anyone else, believing the longterm good is better than the shortterm accomodation.

Those who want the 100% backing on their side really want the lukewarm though ironically they will accuse the moderate who doesn't 100% support them of being lukewarm to discredit them.

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 10:31:14 AM »

A moderate or objective person is more after finding the truth and the greater good rather than pleasing anyone else, believing the longterm good is better than the shortterm accomodation.

Ahaaa...i am this way with parenting...it is not a popularity contest, but when you believe something is right, you can clearly see the efforts worth. You place value in the long run, or out come.

Ok, i am sure i do not want to ever be lukewarm, ever...it is just passing through life to me if that is all that you desire...or more lack of desire.

Those who want the 100% backing on their side really want the lukewarm though ironically they will accuse the moderate who doesn't 100% support them of being lukewarm to discredit them.

Ouch, i think we have all been the victim of being discredited, and for some, the pain is deeper than a wound, it is devastating to be challenged when we strive for integrity.

I will be the victim, as painful as it might be...rather than lac integrity!

Lana

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 06:23:04 AM »

August 31, 2012

PARADOX

The human and the divine coexisting at the same time is real religion.
This creates honest people, people who don’t waste time proving
they’re right, superior, or saved, but just try to live and love the
mystery that they are.

There are basically four world views: 1) Reality is just matter, 2)
Reality is just spirit, 3) Through religion and morality we can work to
put matter and spirit together, and 4) The material world has always
been the place where Spirit is revealed (“Incarnation”). You cannot
put them together. They already are—as in Jesus. Only the fourth
position deserves to be called Christianity.

Prayer:

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 07:46:21 AM »

September 1, 2012

PARADOX

In paradoxical language, if you try to rest on one side and forget the
other, you lose the the bigger truth. The whole is always Both/And. The
opposite of every profound truth is another profound truth.

We’ve seen some Christian cultures that are entirely centered on the
Cross and they lose the Resurrection. In wealthy countries like our own
we create the “prosperity gospel,” as it is called—which is all
trumped-up resurrection and almost no reference to the pain and
suffering of the world, and often denying our own dark side.

We lose the full mystery of God, and the mystery of our own
transformation, when we stand on one side and refuse to hold the
creative tension that Jesus held on the cross. He even let it destroy
him. It is the horizontal line of two nailed hands, “between the good
and the bad thief,” as it were, that crucifies Jesus and that
liberates us.

Prayer:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: