Faith Community at WordsFree.org
October 22, 2017, 03:24:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark 12:28-34 ... the Two Great Commands  (Read 1953 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:56:14 PM »

Mark 12:28-34 (NIV)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mark%2012:28-34&version=NIV

28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”

29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

32 “Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”

34 When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.

I'll post my reactions separately from this post, so I can think about it a bit and give others a chance to go if I don't soon.

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:09:22 PM »

Love, in general...towards our Lord, and his sheep...especially those on the curb!
Everything else falls in the category of fanning off, like the roots of a tree.
Less viable in importance, but important none the less. The importance is to stay
on the path, and not stray from the life that the root can provide for us, if we but drink!

Lana
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:20:46 AM »

Here's something I never got before from this passage.

"Love your neighbor as yourself."

Usually I think this means "love your neighbor and yourself both," but just now it hit me as, "love your neighbor as if your neighbor were actually you."

Kind of like a "golden rule" of love!   Grin

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Intentional

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »

Good to reflect on these verses. I am reminded that honoring my brother as often as I want to honor myself takes discipline and a habit. When I see a brother lift up another brother I am always quickened in my mind. "I want to be more like that more often." Love takes shape in how I treat my brother whom I see. The quicker I am to rejoice with him and sorrow with his pain the more empathic, the greater sense of being on the "right" path it seems I am. I love my God by loving his son who labors with me in the fields every day.

Protestants don't have a monastic heritage but the Holy Spirit makes a way where there seems to be no way. 18 years in Christian community and counting.
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:58:52 PM »

For some of us the wording of this command is troubling since we don't love ourselves very much, never having felt loved, or even lovable.

For me at least the wording from John makes it clearer: Love one another as I have loved you. It is much less abstract if I have a specific good example to model after.

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 07:48:10 PM »

John you are right, i too have this biting at my heels, but rarely notice that i do not give myself the time of day or care. It is only when i rejoice in his love, and my being his child that i blossom in this enough to want to share. I tend to think of others often, and very little of myself. It is a road of recovery that takes a long time and care. But what is got to contemplate in the rush to want progress, is the fact that it did not happen over night that i am sitting here. Back tracking is not as instantaneous as we might wish. But much easier when we hold Gods hand in doing so.

Lana
Ericp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »

Here's something I never got before from this passage.

"Love your neighbor as yourself."

Usually I think this means "love your neighbor and yourself both," but just now it hit me as, "love your neighbor as if your neighbor were actually you."

Kind of like a "golden rule" of love!   Grin

Alan
How hard this can be.  I struggle with it due to my own pride and smugness. It can also be confusing too.  For example, loving ourselves means to me that we should respect ourselves and be assertive and say no when we need to.  But I think through upbringing and the good inttnetions of others I was taught that self respect was wrong and love thyself got lost and misconstrued.. Resulting in not so good situations and low self esteem.  Fortunately now, I think I am learningthat we need to treat ourself well as we need to treat others well.   Eric
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 05:58:12 PM »

what a wonderful way to have perceived how your past has come to grow. I really felt where you had been and where you desire to be. That journey sounds wonderful to me.

I was taught that self respect was wrong and love thyself got lost and misconstrued.. Resulting in not so good situations and low self esteem.

Once lowered in the esteem category of life, it is so hard to not have a huge part of your existence equate assertiveness as being a bully and leaving you guilt ridden for seeing self before others...and a feeling of Not following Gods desires of how to treat your neighbor. It is really hard to learn the value of self love without guilt so that we can grow in Gods love for ourselves as well as for others. All within reason....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: