Faith Community at WordsFree.org
October 23, 2017, 02:44:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello Everybody!  (Read 6501 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: September 19, 2005, 06:59:49 AM »

Hey, everyone.  I think I got the board software installed.  I think you can register yourself.  If you can't, post on http://wordsfree.org/catholic/topiclist.php or email me at alansiegman@yahoo.com

I hope this works.  I'm open to suggestions to renaming forums, etc.

Now we can get some smilies going again, I hope.  Gosh I don't know how to use them yet.  Embarrassed

Oh hey.  There we go.  Just set the cursor, then click on smiley, and it puts encoded versions.  Cool

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
WhiteDove

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 09:33:11 AM »

Hello Alan. This is one small step for a man, and one giant leap for mankind Smiley
WhiteDove

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 09:34:07 AM »

What's this 'karma' dealie? Is that a reputation system?
mhansen
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 10:21:27 AM »

Hi!  Great job, Alan.  Thanks for all the hard work you put into this.

Mike
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 11:26:04 AM »

What's this 'karma' dealie? Is that a reputation system?

Sounds like it to me.  I never participated in a forum with an active reputation system.

This sounded like fun.  I was looking at all the stuff I could set, and found I could activate this.  There was the default which was "disabled" or "Karma total" or "Karma positive/negative"  I chose the most radical; hey I'd rather think I lead one side of a war than that nobody listens to me! So if I had like a lot plus and a lot minus that's better than just knowing that it adds up to 0.  If people have no opinion on what I said, then I should better probably have been silent.

First, there is a "minimum posts" needed to be able to modify Karma, and the default was zero.  I set it to five.  Also you have to wait at least one hour between providing an "applaud" or a "smite" but I made it so certain people  Roll Eyes such as myself can smite or applaud as often as possible.

If you don't like those settings, here's a place to suggest better ones.

Oh, heck.  Let's open season.  I'm setting it to zero so we can get going right away with whatever this "karma" function does.

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
mhansen
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 12:17:30 PM »

Cool, now we can build up our "karma" before anyone else gets here and takes it from us!   Grin

I'll be back every hour, on the hour to applaud everyone's posts.

Mike
cheddarsox

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 02:00:37 PM »

Karma is fun, I've been doing it on the pagan forums for a long time. If someone posts something that really touches you, speaks to you, helps you. You "touch karma" and can give them karma points.

If they really irritate you you can take away karma. On the pagan site, if you have more karma power, your touches pass on more power, and if you take away, you lose some of yours as well.

when you touch karma, you can also leave a message to the touchee about why you chose to do so (not manditory, but nice) and then individuals can go and read the comments others left them. Which is a pick me up on bad days.

cheddar
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 02:17:24 PM »

Karma is fun, I've been doing it on the pagan forums for a long time. If someone posts something that really touches you, speaks to you, helps you. You "touch karma" and can give them karma points.

If they really irritate you you can take away karma. On the pagan site, if you have more karma power, your touches pass on more power, and if you take away, you lose some of yours as well.

when you touch karma, you can also leave a message to the touchee about why you chose to do so (not manditory, but nice) and then individuals can go and read the comments others left them. Which is a pick me up on bad days.

cheddar

I spotted you +3.  Why? Because I can.  Bwahahaha.

Welcome; it is great to have you here.  Cheesy

Alan

mhansen
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 02:20:47 PM »

Hey cheddar!  Glad to see you made it!  Welcome aboard!

Mike
WhiteDove

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 06:36:38 PM »

CAF had a reputation system when it stated. It was fun. SpaceGhost used to give me points all the time. I had a way of finding out if someone had dinged me. But, it was abused by mean people, so they got rid of it.
HelpingHands

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 08:13:04 PM »

Hi Alan. Thanks for setting this up. It looks nifty! Cheesy
Scott LaFrance

freed2003
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 08:58:51 AM »

I love the fact that ALan is the administrator, but his title says newbie.  That is hilarious!  Does that mean you're a newbie administrator, or the administrator of newbies?

"I don't understand why some people can't accept that, in most cases, the obvious answer is the right one."
Scott LaFrance - Fidei Defensor
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 09:11:18 AM »

I love the fact that ALan is the administrator, but his title says newbie.  That is hilarious!  Does that mean you're a newbie administrator, or the administrator of newbies?

I'm guessing it means I'm a "newbie" in terms of post count.  I dunno what all the options are.

That part I like is even Newbie Administrators still have their fingers on some pretty interesting buttons!

Gosh this is already getting to where I'm not sure I can keep up with all the posts.  Time to start a mod staff, maybe?

Alan

WhiteDove

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 11:03:13 AM »

He's what ya call a big fish in a very small pond... Roll Eyes
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 11:06:47 AM »

Hi everybody!  

Glad to be aboard with some of my old friends and look forward to getting to know better those of you with whom I've not spent much time before.

I'm personally hoping that this will be the place where rational conversation that is "light" rather than "heat" can take place without letting our pride take over, where we all keep in constant mind that we're dealing with each other's tender souls and that God won't be pleased if we wound them further.

Peace,
John

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
WhiteDove

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2005, 11:10:27 AM »

Well I, on the other hand, was hoping for full freedom to give smart aleky replies, and make fun of people's long-winded posts that pontificate endlessly and are practically unreadable
Scott LaFrance

freed2003
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 11:12:22 AM »

Well I, on the other hand, was hoping for full freedom to give smart aleky replies, and make fun of people's long-winded posts that pontificate endlessly and are practically unreadable
Hey, I am all for smart-alecky replies.  Its my MO.  Well well well, if it isn't the legendary Poll-Queen, alive and well.

"I don't understand why some people can't accept that, in most cases, the obvious answer is the right one."
Scott LaFrance - Fidei Defensor
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2005, 11:20:13 AM »

Yikes! I'm in deep trouble then as I'm one of those who can't say "yes or no" in less than 3 paragraphs!

Well, go ahead Ms. Smarty Pants....give it your best shot!

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
mhansen
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2005, 11:37:15 AM »

Hi everybody!  

Glad to be aboard with some of my old friends and look forward to getting to know better those of you with whom I've not spent much time before.

I'm personally hoping that this will be the place where rational conversation that is "light" rather than "heat" can take place without letting our pride take over, where we all keep in constant mind that we're dealing with each other's tender souls and that God won't be pleased if we wound them further.

Peace,
John

Hey John!  Glad to see you, my friend!

I, too, share your dream for this forum.  It's up to US to make it a reality!  Let's see what we can do!

Mike
SpaceGhost
Resigned

Splinters & Timbers My Friends

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2005, 01:38:14 PM »

Hi everybody!  

Peace,
John

Amen, agreed and hello!

Peace! Wink

.......if your so smart, why ain't you rich...?
WhiteDove

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2005, 08:53:50 PM »

I'm starting to think this forum might turn out okay, Alan. Sorry about my poll on that twisted woman with the initials TM.  Cheesy

SpaceGhost
Resigned

Splinters & Timbers My Friends

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2005, 08:09:12 AM »

He's what ya call a big fish in a very small pond... Roll Eyes

keep a close eye on those fish with the title administrator/moderator.... they can just reach right up and bite you in the..................foot

.......if your so smart, why ain't you rich...?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: