Faith Community at WordsFree.org
August 23, 2017, 06:42:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Demons out of Legion ... more Luke 8  (Read 3011 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: May 22, 2010, 01:16:40 PM »

After Jesus drove demons out of the man -- and the demons went into some pigs -- here's what happened:

38The man from whom the demons had gone out begged to go with him, but Jesus sent him away, saying, 39"Return home and tell how much God has done for you." So the man went away and told all over town how much Jesus had done for him.

I'm here to tell you that the freedom and the healing that is intrinsic in the Word of God has healed me in many ways from when I acted like I was possessed with demons.  I'm not saying I was healed by Bible study, but it played a role.  After long enough, it almost seems like it is so obvious it is all a joke.  Once I started to get the joke, it started being incredibly fascinating.  I could easily say "the Lord has willed that I shall be healed" but to make such a statement presupposes the opposite could be true, so one might consider such a statement improper.

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 01:23:14 PM »

What I find interesting is that Jesus's healings are very individualistic and don't seem to form any kind of generalized pattern at all. In some, like this one, people are told to go tell people. The woman at the well went and told the whole town. The lepers were instructed to go show themselves to the priests.

In other cases they are specifically instructed to tell nobody, though they almost always do anyway. Sometimes this seems to be Jesus not wanting people to just start thinking of him as a miracle healer. Other times it seems to be his understanding that those who will be told will undermine the healing by creating doubt for the healed person.

Other people are simply told "go,  your faith has healed you" with no other instructions at all.

We have people healed from illnesses, some of them long-lasting. We have people having demons cast out. We have people having disabilities removed, such as blindness or lameness. And of course we have Lazarus and a little girl being raised from the dead.

We have Jews being healed. The Samaritan woman at the well. The servant of the Roman soldier. The Syro-Phoneacian woman. And of course the man lowered through the roof by his friends though we have no indication that he had specifically requested healing himself.

In the end though, for me, it is the leper who says to Jesus (Matthew Cool: "If you wish it you can make me clean." Jesus replies: "I do wish it. Be made clean." It is a healing I have experienced over and over, realizing each time I ask for it that I will fall back into the same "illness" again and have to ask again. I just seem to keep a guest room made up for some particular demons and can't seem to say no to them when they come to visit.  Undecided But even in this God understands and helps me kick them out when I finally get tired of indulging them.

John

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:43:31 AM by ncjohn » Logged

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 09:16:07 PM »

It is the leper who went back and said Thank you that I remember best.
And the fact that the man, from whom Jesus cast out demons, wanted
to follow and stay by Jesus. But Jesus told him no, for whatever reason
he had for so doing.

reen   

"I took a walk on a cold winter's day."
                       California Dreamin'
genie

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 08:08:42 PM »

Please don't think me odd- but I ve asked this question for years and I get the same answer. I m hearing impaired- deaf without my hearing aids.  It's Hereditary on my fathers side. I ve prayed , begged, pleaded to be healed- It literally made me cry- I kept asking God why not Heal me, you healed so &so, am I not good enough? Is something wrong with me? I asked the pastor, if its possible It's a demon ( I was thinking hereditary- so mayb a generational curse) He replied. No- he didn't feel I was possessed- I m not saying I m possesse- but I m smart enough to know demons do not have to possess you in order to oppress you.  The pastor said he feels I ve been healed in the spiritual realm and it just has to make a physical manifestation and to help it along I must exercise my faith. Ok sounds logical- so I began trying to read/ learn all I could & speak the word over my situation. Still no healing- so I chalked it up ad maybe this is my thorn in the side so to speak. Instead of praying for it. Begging, pleading- I decided His grace is sufficient for me & I will hear what He wants me to hear. Its hard- I love music- I miss listening to music. At church I sit up front where I can feel the music. Music played an important role for me - it ushers my inner spirit into worship.  I miss my Rich Mullins CD- the song Elijah & Screendoor especially.  Thank you for reading my rant lol
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 08:23:58 AM »

Please don't think me odd- but I ve asked this question for years and I get the same answer. I m hearing impaired- deaf without my hearing aids.  It's Hereditary on my fathers side. I ve prayed , begged, pleaded to be healed- It literally made me cry- I kept asking God why not Heal me, you healed so &so, am I not good enough? Is something wrong with me? I asked the pastor, if its possible It's a demon ( I was thinking hereditary- so mayb a generational curse) He replied. No- he didn't feel I was possessed- I m not saying I m possesse- but I m smart enough to know demons do not have to possess you in order to oppress you.  The pastor said he feels I ve been healed in the spiritual realm and it just has to make a physical manifestation and to help it along I must exercise my faith. Ok sounds logical- so I began trying to read/ learn all I could & speak the word over my situation. Still no healing- so I chalked it up ad maybe this is my thorn in the side so to speak. Instead of praying for it. Begging, pleading- I decided His grace is sufficient for me & I will hear what He wants me to hear. Its hard- I love music- I miss listening to music. At church I sit up front where I can feel the music. Music played an important role for me - it ushers my inner spirit into worship.  I miss my Rich Mullins CD- the song Elijah & Screendoor especially.  Thank you for reading my rant lol

I just got my piano tuned, and yesterday I played "Elijah" on it while Julie sang.  It's the same piano I once brought to All Saints for him to play a free concert for Marriage Encounter, Dec 21 just before his last Christmas.  In fact, that evening I took a photo of him between my associate pastor and pastor at the time, with my son in the background, and that photo is now used at many web sites that discuss whether Mullins was to become Catholic.

More on that after a while, and I'll get to your question too, but I have to go to the hospital now so I'll post this much.  If you want to read more about mullins, search "Rich Mullins Catholic" under Google Images, and the first link will be to an article I found, and added my own part of the story.

Somehow, someone found the image on Wordsfree:

Rich really loved the piano; he warmed up by playing Beethoven.  Here I am playing it, "Praise to the Lord."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWnhOPzwNqI

Alan
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:30:13 AM by Alan » Logged

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
genie

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 11:53:07 AM »

Thanks Alan! That's awesome! You are very gifted! Wow! You got to meet Rich Mullins! What a blessing! Will Google and read today!  Thanks again & have a great day!
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »

Please don't think me odd- but I ve asked this question for years and I get the same answer. I m hearing impaired- deaf without my hearing aids.  It's Hereditary on my fathers side. I ve prayed , begged, pleaded to be healed- It literally made me cry- I kept asking God why not Heal me, you healed so &so, am I not good enough? Is something wrong with me?

It could be any number of reasons.  I had an engineer coworker once whose daughter was a concert pianist, although she was deaf from birth.  The engineer never quit being angry with the doctor because he said her deafness resulted from incorrect usage by the doctor, of forceps.  Either way, he adores her and I've heard her recordings.  Beautiful!

Instead of asking God to heal you of a sense, ask God to use the remaining senses to bring you to state of mystical condition that goes by many names, whereby you will start receiving your answers ... and if there's any healing, that you will be ready to receive it.  Can't just put new wine in old wineskins ... your mind has to be opened to allow the Holy Spirit to heal you in all ways not just one.  Mentally, spiritually, physically, sexually (Self-identity), socially, and emotionally.  To focus on the physical is to look at the "accidents" of a problem that can be solved spiritually.  I don't know what you'll find but I'm confident that's a good way to go.

I asked the pastor, if its possible It's a demon ( I was thinking hereditary- so mayb a generational curse) He replied. No- he didn't feel I was possessed- I m not saying I m possesse- but I m smart enough to know demons do not have to possess you in order to oppress you.  The pastor said he feels I ve been healed in the spiritual realm and it just has to make a physical manifestation and to help it along I must exercise my faith.

Excellent!  I'm totally with both of you so far.

Ok sounds logical- so I began trying to read/ learn all I could & speak the word over my situation. Still no healing- so I chalked it up ad maybe this is my thorn in the side so to speak.

Good start.  I'm guessing you are an educated person, because you are taking an analytical approach to this.  I'd say put a big PAUSE on it right here, and state what you have and have not found.

You have learned some things.  If by no other way, by having pondered them.  There are great reasons for thorns in the side.  For now let's just say it's to keep you covered.  If from nothing else, letting your non-standard ways of thinking get you into trouble.  Believe this and your words will gain power.

Instead of praying for it. Begging, pleading- I decided His grace is sufficient for me & I will hear what He wants me to hear. Its hard- I love music- I miss listening to music. At church I sit up front where I can feel the music. Music played an important role for me - it ushers my inner spirit into worship.  I miss my Rich Mullins CD- the song Elijah & Screendoor especially.  Thank you for reading my rant lol

I read some of Beethoven's letters that he wrote to people, and he was not deaf at birth.  When he was going deaf, he said it did not interfere with his music but it did interfere with normal conversations with other people, because he couldn't lip sync and even then they aren't always looking at him, etc.

As far as it being a demon, have you been able to characterize it?  how does it manifest in the garden of your thoughts?  Does it come up at certain times more than others, or under certain conditions or lack of condition, that you've been able to recall?

Also, have you ever heard of contemplative prayer, such as Centering Prayer?  It'll heal you of what ails you.  Wink

Alan

genie

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 09:52:11 PM »

could be any number of reasons. I had an engineer coworker once whose daughter was a concert pianist, although she was deaf from birth. The engineer never quit being angry with the doctor because he said her deafness resulted from incorrect usage by the doctor, of forceps. Either way, he adores her and I've heard her recordings. Beautiful

I can understand his anger. Wow, I m very in awe of her for doing what she loves regardless of her deficit.

Instead of asking God to heal you of a sense, ask God to use the remaining senses to bring you to state of mystical condition that goes by many names, whereby you will start receiving your answers ... and if there's any healing, that you will be ready to receive it. Can't just put new wine in old wineskins ... your mind has to be opened to allow the Holy Spirit to heal you in all ways not just one. Mentally, spiritually, physically, sexually (Self-identity), socially, and emotionally. To focus on the physical is to look at the "accidents" of a problem that can be solved spiritually. I don't know what you'll find but I'm confident that's a good way to go

Ok, will work on this area. I ve been only working on renewing my mind- and thought life- I honestly didn't take into consideration the other areas. Now that u mention it- the area of self identity- Wow! I lost my job due to cut backs- I was there 12yrs- I was very loyal- I put it above my family- my identity was tied up in that job to a point that I wad lost when I didn't have it anymore- depressed. But I learned- realized you have other things that make up your being- identity- also NEVER place anything above God or family. And the most important part- God is my provider- not the job. Thank you for mentioning these other things, now I can reevaluate my situation and pray about it in a different way.

Good start. I'm guessing you are an educated person, because you are taking an analytical approach to this. I'd say put a big PAUSE on it right here, and state what you have and have not found.

You have learned some things. If by no other way, by having pondered them. There are great reasons for thorns in the side. For now let's just say it's to keep you covered. If from nothing else, letting your non-standard ways of thinking get you into trouble. Believe this and your words will gain power

I think that's sometimes my downfall. I analyze too much. Think too much into things when it's probably more simplified than I think lol.

I read some of Beethoven's letters that he wrote to people, and he was not deaf at birth. When he was going deaf, he said it did not interfere with his music but it did interfere with normal conversations with other people, because he couldn't lip sync and even then they aren't always looking at him, etc.

As far as it being a demon, have you been able to characterize it? how does it manifest in the garden of your thoughts? Does it come up at certain times more than others, or under certain conditions or lack of condition, that you've been able to recall?

Also, have you ever heard of contemplative prayer, such as Centering Prayer? It'll heal you of what ails you.

I will have to read some more about Beethoven- you've got me interested now lol.  The thought of it being a demon scares the Crsp outta me- but I know that's how they operate.  I think when I get to reflecting on my life- I get on the pity wagon & I don't stop the thoughts before they assail my mind.  I would like more information on centering prayer- & how to pray in that way. I downloaded the prayer book app to my phone & that's what I ve been using along with my personal prayers. Thank you for taking the time to answer me! I really appreciate it.

God Bless You!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:06:23 PM by Alan » Logged
genie

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »

Oh snap!!! All of mine is in purple!!!  Lol guess I'll add forum posting on my list of things to learn!

I fixed it.  I don't normally edit other people's posts, but as you see I have this time.  It's a little more complicated to quote here than on some boards because it allows nested quotes ... but look at how I changed it using "modify" and you can see what I did -- Alan
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:08:03 PM by Alan » Logged
genie

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »

Thank you Alan! It looks much better! Lol.I appreciate it!
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 12:47:23 AM »

I will have to read some more about Beethoven- you've got me interested now lol.  The thought of it being a demon scares the Crsp outta me- but I know that's how they operate.  I think when I get to reflecting on my life- I get on the pity wagon & I don't stop the thoughts before they assail my mind.  I would like more information on centering prayer- & how to pray in that way. I downloaded the prayer book app to my phone & that's what I ve been using along with my personal prayers. Thank you for taking the time to answer me! I really appreciate it.

First, fear not about whether it's a demon.  I've found ways to give myself suggestions that work whether it's a demon or some mental quirk like tendency to look at the costs of things past but miss the benefits.  We can still have a conversation using demon-talk, or just psychological terms or other ways to describe the interaction of feelings.

Keep in mind I'm making all this stuff up as I go.  We are writing the future, eh?

Here's the main site for centering prayer:  http://centeringprayer.com/

Here's a YouTube of Fr. Keating explaining the method.  He has many many hours of video tapes (I'm trying to get ahold of somehow) explaining the mind and how society programs us to have our false self, and how it's destroyed by the Holy Spirit. 

The method:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IKpFHfNdnE

About the method:  pick a sacred word that's maybe one or two syllables.  Don't change it.  Some use Jesus, others think of an image instead of a word, some use "sin."  It has no meaning in the prayer; it's used to help with distractions.

Alan

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »

I think of a "demon" as a thought.  Any thought.  It could be a sentence, "this will happen."  Could be a question, "is this real?"  It could be an object: "broom" or the thought could even be a sinful thought "I wish I could ... " or a sin tendency such as "envy" or "anger."

To manage my own "demons" I treated them as if they had obedience like machines, seeing as they probably don't have a brain or free will.  So I would tell them what to do, and over the years I got better at telling them the right things.

First, don't be afraid.  They could be like a chipmunk, after a peanut, or a bear after your peanut butter sandwich.  Whatever it is, they can't hurt you unless you fear them.  That's like the catch-22.  If you fear them then you will act out one way or the other -- from aggressive or maybe depressed behavior or even just a microexpression on the face.  "Fear" includes any type of surprise, so the first time you encounter a demon it automatically has "surprise" on you.  The way it presents plus your disposition determines whether it will startle you.  If you deal with it with no fear, like snakes you know 100% can't hurt you, then the second time you encounter it you feel like you have some experience.  This can actually happen in the imagination or even in dreams, like when Jesus said that harboring anger was like killing.  It's the same thought experience; we wish harm on another.  The rest is just accidental details.

When I use the word "accident" to talk about spirits, I'm meaning the physical-world manifestation of something.  For example, we have bread and wine changed into Jesus's Body and Blood.  The "accidents" of unleavened bread and wine still remain the same after the consecration, which is why physical world-based instruments cannot detect the substance which does change.  Remember Jesus said that heaven and earth will pass away, but His Words will never pass away.  That's because words, like thoughts, like demons, are eternal.  Life and death are accidental changes in our physical manifestations.

Alan
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:23:42 AM by Alan » Logged

Veronica97

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 11:08:33 PM »

Please don't think me odd- but I ve asked this question for years and I get the same answer. I m hearing impaired- deaf without my hearing aids.  It's Hereditary on my fathers side. I ve prayed , begged, pleaded to be healed- It literally made me cry- I kept asking God why not Heal me, you healed so &so, am I not good enough? Is something wrong with me? I asked the pastor, if its possible It's a demon ( I was thinking hereditary- so mayb a generational curse) He replied. No- he didn't feel I was possessed- I m not saying I m possesse- but I m smart enough to know demons do not have to possess you in order to oppress you.  The pastor said he feels I ve been healed in the spiritual realm and it just has to make a physical manifestation and to help it along I must exercise my faith. Ok sounds logical- so I began trying to read/ learn all I could & speak the word over my situation. Still no healing- so I chalked it up ad maybe this is my thorn in the side so to speak. Instead of praying for it. Begging, pleading- I decided His grace is sufficient for me & I will hear what He wants me to hear. Its hard- I love music- I miss listening to music. At church I sit up front where I can feel the music. Music played an important role for me - it ushers my inner spirit into worship.  I miss my Rich Mullins CD- the song Elijah & Screendoor especially.  Thank you for reading my rant lol

Genie,
   I have a sister who is deaf--not born deaf but became deaf in high school due to scarlet fever.  She has told me that she does not wish to be healed, because being deaf has taught her to be sympathetic to the underdog and to all those with disabilities.  She understands the sanctity of life, even that of an injured child whom others thought was merely a "vegetable."  She donated her time each week to help care for this child, and with her "extra" senses that she has because of her hearing loss, she was abe to see something inside this child that others could not see.  To add to that, I have recently read a book called "Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence" by Father Jean Baptiste Saint-Jure and St. Claude De La Colombiere.  I would recommend reading this book--it's short and it really helped me to see that EVERYTHING that happens to us is God's will.  God even uses the bad things (while not making them happen, He ALLOWS them to happen) to bring good out of them for us and for others.  Furthermore, EVERYTHING that happens to us happens for one reason:  OUR SALVATION.  For instance, some people are poor b/c if they were rich, God knows they would lose their salavation due to greed.  For some reason, God has decided you should remain deaf.  You may not know the reason in this lifetime, but you can rest assured that it is because He loves you very much and desires you to be with him in eternity.  And you can also be assured that you will both hear and sing the most beautiful music you could ever imagine in Heaven--God will see to it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: