Faith Community at WordsFree.org
November 13, 2018, 04:03:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: February 26, 2010 Friday of the First Week of Lent, Ez18, Ps130, Matt 5  (Read 1109 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:03:13 AM »

Today's readings are at:  http://www.usccb.org/nab/022610.shtml

Sorry I forgot to get this going yesterday.  That reminds me, I meant to note that others are welcome to start a day's topic if I haven't yet, even if it is for a different day than today.

The first reading confuses me.  Now we are told that we can please God by following rules?  In my rantings about tomorrow's readings, I noted that just the opposite was the case.

That doesn't worry me a whole lot, though, for the here and now.  For the here and now, we have the Holy Spirit of God, whose work under the New Covenant was introduced by Jesus.

Many times in the New Testament, we are told that people who continue to cling to following O.T. rules are spitting into the wind, as it were.  I don't get it, but I don't care too much because I like the lifestyle that trying to be like Christ brings me.  I've had it with thinking the whole Bible is ever going to make sense to me.

That doesn't scare me, because I honestly don't care if the Bible is literally word-for-word physical truth.  My kids were taught in their religion classes that Genesis and Revelation are to be interpreted figuratively.  In order to reconcile this for myself, I had to concoct a system of thinking whereby it doesn't really matter whether the Bible is the literal truth or not; whatever it is, it has been enormously helpful once I plunged into it myself and found some "good" guidance, rather than believe what other people tell me the Bible says. Blasphemy?  Gosh I don't know; if anybody wants to disagree with me that is OK.  Maybe I'll listen, but I still reserve the right to use the mind God gave me for helpful purposes and not subject it to being twisted around with everybody's conflicting logic and with seemingly conflicting messages.  No longer will I allow myself to become confused by trying to reconcile things that can't be reconciled -- that's kind of what drove me bonkers in the first place.

Alan
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:21:57 PM by Alan » Logged

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: