Faith Community at WordsFree.org
November 13, 2018, 03:17:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: February 24, 2010: Wednesday of the First Week in Lent. Jon 3, Ps 51, Lk 11  (Read 1365 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: February 24, 2010, 03:23:35 AM »

Today's readings are at: http://www.usccb.org/nab/022410.shtml

When God saw by their actions how they turned from their evil way,
he repented of the evil that he had threatened to do to them;
he did not carry it out.

Strange.  God threatened to do evil, and would have if they had not repented?

I didn't know God could do "evil."  I wonder how this goes down in the translation.

OK, so here is another Bible version; same verse, from the NIV:

When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he had compassion and did not bring upon them the destruction he had threatened.

Nothing about God doing "evil" there, unless destruction is inherently evil.

Note to self: try not to get too concerned about one or two words that may be different in different translations.

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:31:16 AM »

I like one of the psalm verses from today:

For you are not pleased with sacrifices;
should I offer a burnt offering, you would not accept it.
My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit;
a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.

My own advice from the last message notwithstanding, here are the definitions of "contrite" from dictionary.com:

1. caused by or showing sincere remorse.
  2. filled with a sense of guilt and the desire for atonement; penitent: a contrite sinner.

Maybe I am hung up on individual words too much.  When I do wrong things, or especially things that have bad results, I feel regret for making that decision.  I generally don't go around feeling guilty.

Still, I like this passage because it continues to make it clear that sacrifices and burnt offerings are not the way to God's favor.

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: