Faith Community at WordsFree.org
November 13, 2018, 03:17:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: February 22, 2010: Feast of the Chair of Saint Peter, Apostle 1 Pt 5, Matt 16  (Read 1689 times)
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« on: February 22, 2010, 03:59:28 AM »

Today's readings are at: http://www.usccb.org/nab/022210.shtml.

I think I'll give others a chance to start today's discussion.  I still want to get caught up on reading some replies from previous days.  Smiley

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 07:36:41 AM »

Tend the flock of God in your midst,
overseeing not by constraint but willingly,
as God would have it, not for shameful profit but eagerly.
Do not lord it over those assigned to you,
but be examples to the flock.

This part stood out to me so brightly because the flock of God in our mist is the Lost Lamb. To do so willingly and with a good heart, and not a boastful or controlling one is the key. To lend a hand to those who have lost their way. Some boast that they are doing so to others to gain aproval and deeds through a hiarchy of social climbing...this is the one thing God does not want. He does not want us to do it to better ourselves, but to loose ourselves in it, and do for others out of a good heart. Be the leader that no one sees as constraints, but merely someone who can sit at the curb WITH you making sure you do not feel alone, and most of all, will be there the next day to...and so on.

I have curb dwellers in my life, and know that without them, i would not be as strong as i am. But their example is huge for me to pay it forward!

Lana
Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 11:50:22 PM »

To lend a hand to those who have lost their way. Some boast that they are doing so to others to gain aproval and deeds through a hiarchy of social climbing...this is the one thing God does not want.

"Corporate Good Will" comes to mind.  Did you know that "Good Will" is an asset to a company, and that it can be bought, sold, strengthened or ruined, with consequences in court?  I don't know much about that, but I've heard stories ... kind of long ago.  Don't remember details ...

The idea is what I'm after, though.  Companies build Good Will and then use it to draw customers.  I've never been too impressed, for example, with companies that advertise heavily about a particular "good cause" and say that for one day, maybe with some particular product, they will donate maybe 5% or 10% of their revenue to the cause.

First, I'm NOT saying this is all a bad thing.  I am glad the good cause is getting some help.  It's just that it does NOT constitute the company becoming "Christian."  If they wanted to act like a Christian, they would run PSAs without advertising their own name (only disclosing it if required by law) and urge people to donate directly.  They would give donations to the Good Causes without advertising that they have done so.  If somebody really wants to know, they can look through company records and find out.  Being Christian owned is fine and dandy, but if they advertise about their good works, then they too are behaving like any worldly company, in that regard.  Companies are in business to make money; if they don't, according to IRS anyway, they are hobbies and not businesses.

One might protest, "what about non-for-profit charity organizations?"  Well guess what, I feel the same way about them.  It may be non-profit, but they still have a payroll to meet and other expenses to pay.  They need money, and they like to advertise their good works.  Again, this is not a bad thing.  Through their advertising they may be able to take on more volunteers, or get some of the "Good Cause" clients to turn to them for help.  This is all great, it is just not something that is likely to gain favor in heaven.

Nothing against the individuals who operate and work at the company.  They may be totally Christian and themselves may do many good works, in the closet, not to be seen by people, so that the "right hand" doesn't see what the left hand does.

So this is not really different than my view of Christian stewardship for individuals.  If the "Good Works" are advertised or otherwise exploited for profit, even if that profit is intangible such as "providing warm fuzzies" for the wannabe steward, then they have received their reward.

I was just thinking of one example of this I can give to my kids, about "true" stewardship.  Here it is:  if you do the dishes for Mom for a quarter, that may be a Good Thing but it isn't stewardship.  If you do it because you want Mom to be happy with you, that is still a Good Thing, but again, not stewardship.  If you do it hoping you will be "caught" by Mom doing it, and therefore causing her not only to be happy about the dishes but how spontaneous they are, that still isn't really stewardship.  If they do it because they see a way they can improve the world -- and take no effort to be discovered, and Mom sees it later and wonders who did it, then we're getting closer.  It may just be true stewardship -- but it's still debatable to some degree.  Optimally, I think the most pure form would be if they do the dishes such that Mom doesn't even notice that anybody has done this work, but of course it does reduce her workload, then you have not received any reward on earth, and will receive heavenly blessings.  Kindness done in secret is the key.

Alan

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: