Faith Community at WordsFree.org
June 29, 2017, 02:13:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Further Thinking Aloud  (Read 23109 times)
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2009, 05:43:28 PM »

I found this website last week. It has tons of old comic books, available for download.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=goldenagecomics&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Then I downloaded a comic book reader.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&fkt=1462&fsdt=6720&q=cdisplay+download&aq=1s&oq=CDdisplay&aqi=g-s10

This works really well. The pages fill the screen, so they are easy to read.

Had a large collection of comic books, in the 1950's. At the time,
there was a comic book called Treasure Chest. It was a Catholic comic book.
Lo and behold, doesn't my online search for Treasure Chest comics meet with success.  Smiley

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QMuDihPPyPA/SolNPdXgVrI/AAAAAAAALGg/Y9VoGx22D4E/s400/trasurechest.jpg

The first issue was published 6 weeks before my birth.
It was still going strong in 1954, when I first heard of this comic.

http://libraries.cua.edu/achrcua/TreasureChest.html#series1

reens

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 05:45:39 PM by reen » Logged

"I took a walk on a cold winter's day."
                       California Dreamin'
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 05:46:14 PM »

I never was a big comic book fan, though I did develop an affinity for MAD magazine during the 60's. Somewhere in my workshop is a box that still has a bunch of those old issues. They would be in one of those 8 or 9 boxes that have never been unpacked. It has only been 18 years though so I still have time.  Tongue

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:11:52 PM »

I was real big into comics in the 1965-1968 time frame. darn right fanatical and very loyal to DC, those wonderful people who chronicled the events of the Justice League of America and a few others who were not part of the "Secret Society."

Unfortunately, I think most of them disappeared when my parents moved from Hazel Crest to Lisle back around 1986. However, since they still have a number of boxes they haven't unpacked yet, maybe they are in one of those.

I have a number of first editions including the first couple years (complete) of Plastic Man and the Inferior Five. If they still exist they should bring a few dollars per issue.

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:14:01 AM »

quote: jsiegman
I was real big into comics in the 1965-1968 time frame. darn right fanatical and very loyal to DC, those wonderful people who chronicled the events of the Justice League of America and a few others who were not part of the "Secret Society."

...I have a number of first editions including the first couple years (complete) of Plastic Man and the Inferior Five. If they still exist they should bring a few dollars per issue.

I can see that I was born too early, if I missed Plastic Man.  

I'm all in favor of the Blue Beetle, which I found on that web site.

The quality of the illustrations leave much to be desired, but I like the spirit of the thing.

Here's something about Plastic Man.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&source=hp&q=comic+price+of+first+edition+of+Plastic+Man&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=wfHbSv26JdGo8Ab8i8W3BQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCMQrQQwAw

Too bad I can't find the gold medal that I won at a swim meet, in 1960.
That's when gold was, I think, 35 dollars/ounce.  Roll Eyes

reens

California Dreamin'
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:39:02 AM »

quote: ncjohn
I never was a big comic book fan, though I did develop an affinity for MAD magazine during the 60's. Somewhere in my workshop is a box that still has a bunch of those old issues. They would be in one of those 8 or 9 boxes that have never been unpacked. It has only been 18 years though so I still have time.
  Tongue

Lou was a big fan of Mad Magazine, too.
Could never understand an interest in Mad Magazine or Monty Python.
Don't tell me. You're also a fan of Monty Python?
[For some reason, I seem to recall you mentioning Monty Python.]

Reading Tea Leaves, on the shores of the Hudson

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:02:09 AM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:39:17 AM »

quote:Reen
Don't tell me. You're also a fan of Monty Python?
[For some reason, I seem to recall you mentioning Monty Python.]

Yes, I'm also a Monty Python fan. And also a Three Stooges fan. All three of those, I think, tend to be mostly male things for some reason.

I saw Monty Python's Holy Grail movie several times and still chuckle just thinking about certain scenes in it. I also love their Spanish Inquisition scene which I've watched several times on Youtube.

Quirky sense of humor

This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 11:01:45 AM »

Most interesting that you lump Monty Python, the Three Stooges and Mad Magazine in the same boat since they represent 3 distinct brands of humor.

Mad magazine is straight parody, albeit sometimes with a unkind overtone to it.

The Three Stooges is slapstick, and a malicious brand of it at that.

Monty Python is British humor of several types including some parody

I have never really included any of the three in my favorite list either. Mad and Stooges were both intent of having fun a someone else's expense and the stooges were worse because they wee just downright mean to each other.

I did like the Spy vs. Spy strip though and I eventually was able to appreciate Monty Python to some extent as I started to begin to understand British humor.

When in high school, our science club went to a Physics lecture where the only thing I really understood was the opening joke. The lecturer was some professor from a university in England and his opening went something like this.

He said he often had a problem with telling a joke at the beginning of his lectures in America because most Americans didn't fully appreciate British humor. Once he finished th joke, he said only about 50-60% of the crowd would laugh. However, a few minutes later, the other 90% would laugh as they understood the joke.

JKS

Lanasshoebox
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:34:19 PM »

Monty Python Rocks....i soooooo love that kind of humor!

I have to admit to the first time seeing it, i was completely at awe over why the heck everyone was laughing! I had never before seen or heard anything of dry humor before...and adopted it as a wonderful way of life in general to cope with life.

There is nothing funnier than seeing killer bunnies, horses thatare sounded from coconuts clopping together, and "come back and fight like a man" causing you to spit your amaretto out accidentally every single time!

And secretly for years my sister and i sang a song to piss my parents off  (if they grounded us or something) and ommitted one single word..."sperm"

We sang loud and clear....every ..... is sacred, every ..... is grand. If a ..... gets wasted, God gets quite irate....ROFL!!!

lol...and the shrubery...ok, i'm done@!

lana
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 08:36:36 AM »

Most interesting that you lump Monty Python, the Three Stooges and Mad Magazine in the same boat since they represent 3 distinct brands of humor.

I lump them together only because the three tend to appeal more to males for whatever reason, not because of any other similarities between them. I guess I could also lump Benny Hill into that group, which I also enjoyed and, while British, is yet another entirely different type of humor.

Disclaimer: no Stooges were harmed in producing this post.

ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 08:48:44 AM »

Monty Python Rocks....i soooooo love that kind of humor!

I have to admit to the first time seeing it, i was completely at awe over why the heck everyone was laughing! I had never before seen or heard anything of dry humor before...and adopted it as a wonderful way of life in general to cope with life.

There is nothing funnier than seeing killer bunnies, horses thatare sounded from coconuts clopping together, and "come back and fight like a man" causing you to spit your amaretto out accidentally every single time!

And secretly for years my sister and i sang a song to piss my parents off  (if they grounded us or something) and ommitted one single word..."sperm"

We sang loud and clear....every ..... is sacred, every ..... is grand. If a ..... gets wasted, God gets quite irate....ROFL!!!

lol...and the shrubery...ok, i'm done@!

lana

You mention what are also my favorite scenes from the Holy Grail. The Black Knight scene in particular never fails to make me laugh.

Here are links to that one and the Killer Bunny scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMkth8FWno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg&NR=1

John

jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 12:01:10 PM »

I lump them together only because the three tend to appeal more to males for whatever reason, not because of any other similarities between them. I guess I could also lump Benny Hill into that group, which I also enjoyed and, while British, is yet another entirely different type of humor.

Point taken and yes, it would be fair to include Benny Hill.

Given the right circumstances, the feminine gender does find him funny. Benny Hill was one of the hottest shows on when we got married and Cheryl just absolutely despised his brand of humor. As a result, I didn't watch him very often. One night I happened to have him on when she entered the room. After a few scowls and nasty remarks she went about her business. Benny was doing his aging-woman skit and proposed a toast -- May I live as long as I want to, and may I want to as long as   I live. That was the turning point. Cheryl laughed at it and repeated over and over. After that she decided it was a pretty good show after all and we watched it together when we had time.

Also, the Vorpal Bunny scene from the Holy Grail is one of my all time favorites as well.

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 01:20:50 AM »

A busy day, today. And then spent the evening watching the election results, out of NJ and VA,
and then spent an hour, online, reading commentary on same.

For me, politics is my Superbowl.  News commentators are like the commentators
who recount the football/baseball plays, and offer commentary, during the World Series or the Superbowl.

One thing I've learned to count on:  Consider what the opposition is accusing you of, and plan to see that
exact thing done by the opposition.  Lips Sealed  The practioners of this art are seasoned fighters.
[This behavior is not limited to any given party.]

The thing that makes all of this fascinating to me, is waiting for the moment when the opposition makes
the classic error of '...believing their own propaganda.'  

Shakespeare was a fine observer of human characteristics.

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts...

Yet it isn't to Wm. Shakespeare that I turn, for the clearest view of human nature.
Man's capacity for self-deception is nearly unbounded.
Happily, God knows this, and sometimes He saves us from our own folly.

So I listened and read, about these election events,
ever keeping in mind -

"Praise the Lord, my soul, and sing to the Lord,
I will praise the Lord and sing to my God, as long as I have life..."

Lauda anima mea Dominum laudabo
Dominum in vita mea cantabo Deo meo quamdiu sum
nolite confidere in principibus

nolite confidere in principibus

..."Put not your trust in Princes..."  Psalm 146

reen

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:47:37 AM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 12:12:04 PM »

To me, politics is interesting only to the extent that I am able to delude myself into thinking that candidates of either party actually believe any of the things they espouse during a campaign. I am more than aware that once elected it will all be about getting reelected in the next go-round rather than doing anything to promote the common good.

Politics has clearly become the art of finding the "right message" that will entice the greatest number of people to think that their values are being supported while knowing that none of those values will be taken into account in any future action. To me it has become the ultimate symbol of disrespect: asking the multitudes for their opinion knowing you are going to dismiss it and do what you want anyway. I've spent too much of my life with such people to actually give much hope that anything is going to change. It is very rare that we get upset enough to actually hold people accountable for those lies; instead we just reelect them as their punishment.

You're right, Reen, that we need to not trust in princes.

Cynic in the mountains

reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 04:49:51 PM »

quote: ncjohn
To me, politics is interesting only to the extent that I am able to delude myself into thinking that candidates of either party actually believe any of the things they espouse during a campaign. I am more than aware that once elected it will all be about getting reelected in the next go-round rather than doing anything to promote the common good.

Politics has clearly become the art of finding the "right message" that will entice the greatest number of people to think that their values are being supported while knowing that none of those values will be taken into account in any future action. To me it has become the ultimate symbol of disrespect: asking the multitudes for their opinion knowing you are going to dismiss it and do what you want anyway. I've spent too much of my life with such people to actually give much hope that anything is going to change. It is very rare that we get upset enough to actually hold people accountable for those lies; instead we just reelect them as their punishment.

Agree wholeheartedly, John.  What nauseates me is this sense of 'big business is all good, unions are all good, Wall Street is an
unalloyed boon to the nation, the bankers are all Mary Poppins, party X is all good, party Y is all bad.

None of us came down with the last rain shower.

I was much struck by what an author wrote many years ago.

He said that - in the past, people of different political parties would dine together at some function,
enjoying the meal and the conversation - while thinking that the other was simply mistaken in their assessment
of what the country wants and requires.
No longer, he wrote. Now the opposition considers the other a despicable individual - morally flawed,
and in need of consciousness raising of some sort.  Not in simple error, but deserving of scorn, viscious speech,
derogatory denunciation.

I add my own variation, to the theme of this era - i.e., politics as religion.

Religion is used as a vehicle to condemn a member of another political party out of hand,
or religion is simply supplanted by a new secular 'faith.'
With new scriptures, and saints and martyrs and secular holy days.

I hold that the 2nd half of the 20th c. was a time of massive intellectual sloth.

Bumper sticker mentalities. Jargon. Slogans. Each displacing critical thought.
What Dietrich Bonhoffer called 'cheap grace.' He had to speak quickly, for the Nazis executed him.

I think, too, that in the minds of many, '...the perfect becomes the enemy of the good.'

Shall now step down from this apple crate I'm standing upon, figuritively.

We shall one day come before God - each on our own. Not with groups,
or alliances or whatever. Slogans will fail, in the presence of Godhead.

"Tell Me, dear heart, not what you said, but what you did."

reen

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:15:07 PM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 10:40:20 PM »

Our biggest single problem is that most of the people seeking office are politicians.

What we really need to elect are statesmen.

Those are few and far between and generally are smart enough not to want to hold office.

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 02:07:57 AM »

quote: jseigman
Our biggest single problem is that most of the people seeking office are politicians.

What we really need to elect are statesmen.

As you said, James, statesmen are few and far between.

I've always thought that New York Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
had a first rate mind, with an eye toward the unintended consequences
of given legislation. There was much that I disagreed with,
but much that I could be grateful for and appreciate, in his
contributions to our nation state.

Senator Hubert Humphrey was a solid support to the civil rights movement,
which did not, in the early days, bring approbation and praise.
It was a courageous and principled stance on his part.
I wouldn't have agreed with Senator Humphrey on the time of day,
but I have great respect for the courage and the resolve that he
demonstrated, in that crucial struggle.

To me, the great statemen of our time were John Paul II, Margaret Thatcher
and Ronald Regan. Working in concert, they toppled the Soviet Union -
bringing freedom to Eastern Europe and the fall of that monstrosity, the Berlin Wall.

I am old enough to recall, vividly, the time when that wall was built.
Never did I think that this monument to force and repression 
would ever be removed in my lifetime. I can recall a sick hollow feeling, in the pit of
my stomach, as that damn thing was built, in the summer of 1961. I was then 15.

Neville Chamberlain was considered a statesman, in his time.
He went to speak with Hitler, and debarking his plane, when he returned home,
he waved a document, stating that he had brought '...peace in our time.'
Not long after, the Nazis swept into Poland. No amount of reasoning and nuancing,
or proactive interfacing, could have stopped Herr Hitler.

We, too, are living out history, which to us is current events.
How will those in the future assess our actions or lack thereof?
Who will then be considered the statesmen of our time?

reen

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 02:22:49 AM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 03:06:46 AM »

We, too, are living out history, which to us is current events.
How will those in the future assess our actions or lack thereof?
Who will then be considered the statesmen of our time?

I fear that historians will pay Obama an undue amount of attention and admiration. Will he be known as the great leader who proved socialism can work? Or will he be known as the spend-it-before-you-make-it president who led America into near-bankruptcy or worse? As much as I would like for the programs he espouses to be successful, I don't see how they can do anything but make things worse in the long run.

JKS
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 06:15:49 PM »

Here a thought for the day that should make you think.... or something. I laughed myself silly.

I was attempting to connect to the home page for the U.S. Naval Base in Corpus Christie Texas.

instead of the home page I got he folllowing error:

[size=0pt]The site's security certificate is not trusted![/size]

ROFLMBO

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 12:15:22 AM »

Spent some time on ebay, this evening, viewing the vintage Christmas collectibles.
Was somewhat startled to read that apparently 'vintage' is equated with 'before 1946.'
I was born!! in 1946, and refuse to credit this definition of 'vintage.'    

Post-vintage, on the Hudson  Lips Sealed

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:25:52 PM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 02:03:21 AM »

Think about how I feel when I see "Vintage" Sliingerland and Ludwig drums that were built in the 60s and 70s -- most of which were built AFTER my own drum.

back in 1971 when our parish had its first annual antique show and sale I learned that in oder to be a true antique, it had to be 100 years old (except automobiles, they only need to be 10). Anything of interest less than that is called a "collectible." Hmmmm.... my van in a 1996 model. I been driving an antique car for three years. However, in the state of Illinois defines an antique vehicle as being more than 25 years old (or 20 for firetrucks) in order to get antique plates. They are also only allowed to drive to and from shows, exhibitions, demonstrations, and I think repair shops if I read it right.

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 03:05:18 PM »

quote: jsiegman
back in 1971 when our parish had its first annual antique show and sale I learned that in oder to be a true antique, it had to be 100 years old

That's my understanding, too, James.

However, in the state of Illinois defines an antique vehicle as being more than 25 years old (or 20 for firetrucks) in order to get antique plates.

Didn't know that. [I think of a Duesenberg as being an antique automobile.]
By the 25 year standard, a '62 Chevy Impala would be considered an antique!

reen

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:25:09 PM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 03:07:56 PM »

Have you ever noticed the colors of 'vintage' Christmas printed material?
The cardboard boxes have a dull finish, with a lack of a range of colors.
The moment I gaze on one of these boxes, a sense of nostalgia is felt.

reen

California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 01:42:32 AM »

Notice even further, it is he product itself that is colorful and draws attention, not the packaging. That's back in the days when folks (including marketers) paid more attention to the product than the marketing.

Yup. Different times those were. IMO, also better in many ways.

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2009, 01:47:59 PM »

reen

California Dreamin'
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 05:21:58 PM »

Thinking aloud. No reply expected.

An indirect democracy, in the form of a republic, was a noble experiment. It shall not last, I think.
Once this nation permitted abortion on demand, and the further monstrosity of parital-birth abortion,
I think it likely that God may be withdrawing His hand from our nation.  

When the suffering of a beached whale is depicted as more heart-rending than a child aborted as
he/she exits the birth canal, then I think that this nation's noble experiment, in a democratic republic, is nearly over.
Historically, tradgedy after written tradgedy points to a 'fatal flaw' in a protagonist.
In like manner, brutality toward unborn life will spread to other forms of same, I think. It is our nation's Achilles heel.

I thank God for taking my mother home to Him, before the soi-disant 'progressives'
get their wish for gov't control over medical care. Who will then define "the common good?"
Who will be considered a 'burden' on society then? Who will then be considered
'life, unworthy of life,' as was the case under National Socialism, aka the Nazis?

For once - those who pushed for 'gov't knows best,' 'we know what's best' - are themselves about to
experience the fruits of their labor, of 45 years. For the first time in nearly 50 years,
those who pushed for the extension of gov't in our lives will themselves be
'beneficiaries' of the fruits of this mind set. No - most of these individuals will not become
members of a wholly new 'nomenclatura,' imposed on our citizens. [The "Czars?"]

Those who thought in terms of the 'efficient' = fed gov't is more efficient,
have forced open a truly tragic Pandora's box.

I think that the choice before us is the Ark of the Covenant or Pandora's box.
God help us as a nation if we choose the latter.

reen

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:42:18 PM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: