Faith Community at WordsFree.org
October 18, 2017, 07:49:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CHicago Weather  (Read 38142 times)
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:52:50 AM »

Chicago is back to normal - as least concerning the westher.

Today's actual forecast

High of 56-60 today, cooler tomorrow with snow starting and accumulating to 1-2 inches by Thursday morning

60 today, snow tomorrow --- makes sense -- for Chicago.

JKS
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 03:22:51 PM »

Heck, we have days when we do that swing during the day. Wake up in the mid twenties and then go up to 70. I don't recall any days when we started with snow and then went to 70 though.

John

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 03:31:41 PM »

quote: jseigman
High of 56-60 today, cooler tomorrow with snow starting and accumulating to 1-2 inches by Thursday morning

60 today, snow tomorrow --- makes sense -- for Chicago.

Right.  Undecided One or two inches is harder to drive in. Just enough to slick up the roads.

I highly prefer 10 inches, when the snow is packed down by the plows. Everyone is
then alert to the changed conditions.  What I really look for is the new drivers on
the road, the first time they are driving in the snow.  Shocked  Lou taught me how to drive
in the city in the snow, but I do not drive on the major highways unless the roads
are down to pavement. 

reen

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 03:46:27 PM by reen » Logged

"I took a walk on a cold winter's day."
                       California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 10:38:20 PM »

Update on the forecast -- now they are talking 1 to 4 inches depending on where you are in Chicago area.

John, I admit this is not one of the more extreme swings but still, it is fiarly wide.

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 09:20:37 PM »

How was the weather in your area today, James?
Did you have the snow?

reen

California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 12:03:19 AM »

We had the snow -- it was pretty but it didn't stick much, even on the grass.

However, I have had a minor issue bothering me lately. For some months (years?) I have been trying to remember the name of a movie.

Specifically, this movie was a made-for-TV event and I am fairly sure it premiered between 1975 and 1979 when we lived in Park Forest. My best guess is that it was 1976.

It was very controversial and did not go over well and I don't recall having ever seen it again on any ruren whatsoever. It was, in a manner of speaking, a major political statement on our country and where it could be headed under the democratic administrations of the early 70s. It was set in the corn belt (Nebraska maybe?) of an America that had been peacefully overthrown and was now being governed by the U.S.S.R. They were gradually taking over various aspects of American life while telling everyone they didn't want to make any more changes "than was necessary." Certain things were banned, such as displaying the "old" American flag (Stars and Stripes) because that would go against the concept of building a new and better America. There was one particularly memorable scene though, where during a Memorial Day (Veteran's Day?) celebration one of the old veterans carried the Stars and Stripes and, to top it off, had it inverted on his flagpole. The Russian overseers were torn between looking the other way to prove that they were not trying to undermine American's beliefs and customs and stopping and removing the Stars and Stripes because, having been deemed unpatriotic, it was taboo to fly it.

Not a lot to go on but do any of you guys remember the name of the movie ? or even any of the cast ?

JkS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 12:14:08 AM »

quote:jsiegman
Not a lot to go on but do any of you guys remember the name of the movie ? or even any of the cast ?

Could it have been Red Dawn Rising?

quote: jsiegman
We had the snow -- it was pretty but it didn't stick much, even on the grass.

I'm sure glad that it didn't stick. It was almost balmy here today.

reen

California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 10:16:56 AM »

Nope. Not Red Dawn Rising. Although I admit that was a good guess. Bo Cubans involved in the one I am thinking about, plus it centers more around the adults of the midwest town. The main character is running for governor or something and part of the plot involves him trying to shake the image of being a communist puppet instead of a real leader.

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 01:55:45 PM »

Nope. Not Red Dawn Rising. Although I admit that was a good guess. Bo Cubans involved in the one I am thinking about...

This one is eluding me, James. Spent time with the search engines -
and could not even come up with "Bo Cubans."  Does this person
have another form of the name? Beauregrad or something?

Tried searching under the theme of the movie, and limited the
search to the 1970's.  Nada, niente.   [But did find the themes for
several dandy movies, nonethesless. Roll Eyes ]

reens

California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 09:20:41 PM »

Bo Cubans involved in the one I am thinking about...

This one is eluding me, James. Spent time with the search engines -
and could not even come up with "Bo Cubans."  Does this person
have another form of the name? Beauregrad or something?

OOPS. "b" IS NEXT TO "n" - Should have read "NO Cubans involved....."

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 09:58:56 PM »

Should have read "NO Cubans involved....."

Good! My record for finding stuff remains yet intact.

Now that I no longer have to keep alert for the elusive "Beauregard."

I may yet bring home the bacon - or knock one out of the park,
or plant a little flag on the top of the nearest hill -
or settle for ordering a celebratory pizza.

However, one must not count their chickens before they've debuted.
Shall continue the search. 

reens

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 10:00:27 PM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 01:30:49 PM »

I visited IMBD and scanned movies listed by year from 1974 to 1981 and couldn't find anything that looked like it. I will ladmit I didn't take the time to try and check out plot summaries for the movies but I already know most of them so I didn't need to check them all out. The few I did check out were nowhere near it. Hmmm... maybe it was early 80s?

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 02:03:04 PM »

I visited IMBD and scanned movies listed by year from 1974 to 1981 and couldn't find anything that looked like it. I will ladmit I didn't take the time to try and check out plot summaries for the movies but I already know most of them so I didn't need to check them all out. The few I did check out were nowhere near it. Hmmm... maybe it was early 80s?

You know what, James. It finally occured to me that this was
a made for TV movie. 25 years ago, I wonder if these movies
were intended for release in VHS format? Was it a one time available effort?

reens

California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 03:33:35 AM »

We have a winter strom qarning out and it looks like tomorrow gonna be a real mess. Maybe some snow, more probably sleet in the morning followed by frreezing rain and then changing to either snow or freezing rain in the late afternoon. Supposed to slacken off tomorrow evening and then warm up Sunday morning just enough to hopefully melt everything and go back to straight rain.

Tomorrow's show is about a one hour drive. Plan to leave here by 6:30 AM and it runs until 4 PM so it looks like I get to drive both directions in the worst of it. It's a $20 table so I am looking forward to making table, maybe even before lunch <Ha Ha>

Sunday's show s interesting. Only two miles via crow, about 4-5 miles via the road system. Another inexpensive show ($25) but running from 9 AM to 2 PM. Firthermore, part of the lure is that they are havng their pancake breakfast there as well. The church has 4 masses so there should be at least 4 surges of potential customers. Sounds promising. Still, traffic does not always mean sales.

JKS
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 10:48:31 AM »

Good luck with the shows James! Hopefully the snow won't dampen the turnout (no pun intended).

John

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 04:29:01 PM »

We have a winter strom qarning out and it looks like tomorrow gonna be a real mess. Maybe some snow, more probably sleet in the morning followed by frreezing rain and then changing to either snow or freezing rain in the late afternoon. Supposed to slacken off tomorrow evening and then warm up Sunday morning just enough to hopefully melt everything and go back to straight rain.

I'll be sure glad when I see a post from you, James, hopefully today.
That sounds like one big mess to drive in.  [We got mabye an inch
last night and the wind was blowing like anything.] Am hopeful
that this might mean that the storm headed east in time to leave
your area.
The upside in this is that snow makes people think of what they
need to do to get ready for Christmas.  I just thought of something.
What if you filled a Christams stocking with paper and put some
pads in the very top of the stocking, as a visual aid.

Firthermore, part of the lure is that they are havng their pancake breakfast there as well.

Sign me up for that cruise!! 

I am saying prayers for your safe travel today, James.  It's now 3:30 your time,
so in a while you'll be packing up and driving. Hope that we hear from you before
the day is out and that you had a profitable day.

reens

« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 04:31:13 PM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 10:21:36 PM »

Hoping to hear from you, James. Prayers continue for
your safe trip home.

reen

California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 12:02:42 AM »

Tired and gotta get up early again tomorrow so this report will be short.

We left the house shortly before dawn under clear skies (YEAH !) and had a pleasant drive. Turned out to be 62 miles round trip - not quite as far as  I thought.

Show started slow -- only 2 pads ((3.50) during 9:00 Hour. But, working from memory, i think hour 2 saw about $8, hour 3 about $12, hour 4 about $17, and then during hour 5 the snow started --- sales drop to a single $2.50 from 1:00 to 2:00 and that was it --- show closed at 4 but we started packing at 3:40 when it had become painfully obvious there were no customers left browsing the floor. Total - about $55 roughly.

The snow had turned into freezing rain by the time we started loading the van, there was a 1/4 inch layer of ice on everything. THe roads had about a 4 inch layer of slush which, if yuo didn't stay in the rut, played all hell with keeping the car under control. We drove home between 30-35 MPH and most of the roads were 55 MPH limits.

With a $20 table and about 3-4 gallon gas for the round trip, it looks like we might have actually made a few bucks on this show. Eric and I each had about 12 hours invested (including travel and setup) so when all is said and done, it looks like we made about 25 cents an hour for doing the show. Stilll, it was a profit for a very pleasant  change.

Well, gonna take a shower and get some rest. More tomorrow. 5 miles round trip <heee hee hee>

JKS
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 12:15:42 AM »

Weather update -- according to the weatherman (on RIGH TNOW!) --- it is currently 32 degrees and the temperature is rising. The winter storm warning has been lifted for many areas and the warm weather is moving in faster than expected. He does not think we will hit 50 degrees but by morning, today's mess should have melted off by the morning and tomorrow should be a nice day.

Goodie, goodie --

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 01:21:05 AM »

Tired and gotta get up early again tomorrow so this report will be short.

We left the house shortly before dawn under clear skies (YEAH !) and had a pleasant drive. Turned out to be 62 miles round trip - not quite as far as  I thought.

Show started slow -- only 2 pads ((3.50) during 9:00 Hour. But, working from memory, i think hour 2 saw about $8, hour 3 about $12, hour 4 about $17, and then during hour 5 the snow started --- sales drop to a single $2.50 from 1:00 to 2:00 and that was it --- show closed at 4 but we started packing at 3:40 when it had become painfully obvious there were no customers left browsing the floor. Total - about $55 roughly.

The snow had turned into freezing rain by the time we started loading the van, there was a 1/4 inch layer of ice on everything. THe roads had about a 4 inch layer of slush which, if yuo didn't stay in the rut, played all hell with keeping the car under control. We drove home between 30-35 MPH and most of the roads were 55 MPH limits.

With a $20 table and about 3-4 gallon gas for the round trip, it looks like we might have actually made a few bucks on this show. Eric and I each had about 12 hours invested (including travel and setup) so when all is said and done, it looks like we made about 25 cents an hour for doing the show. Stilll, it was a profit for a very pleasant  change.

Well, gonna take a shower and get some rest. More tomorrow. 5 miles round trip <heee hee hee>

Most glad of heart to see two posts from you, James.
We are watching The Seven Samuri, but both Lou and I wanted to know if you had made it home -
because the weather out of your area was on the TV, and it sure looked like driving would  be a real mess.
I feared that the roads would ice over.

You know, it's really something, the internet.  Here we are, worrying ourself silly, wondering how the roads are outside of Chicago,
and thinking "where is James?" I can't even imagine loading up with ice all around. 

Weather update -- according to the weatherman (on RIGH TNOW!) --- it is currently 32 degrees and the temperature is rising. The winter storm warning has been lifted for many areas and the warm weather is moving in faster than expected. He does not think we will hit 50 degrees but by morning, today's mess should have melted off by the morning and tomorrow should be a nice day.

Goodie, goodie --

Excellent!!  Smiley  Hoping for a good day tommrow for you, James. One wonders how many shoppers,
who were foiled today, will be on the road tomorow.

Thank you for posting, James. We were really concerned about the driving.

Nitey noodles,

reens

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 01:33:51 AM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 07:24:27 PM »

Well, that was interesting.

Weather update -- the late night update was about 90% wrong. Come daybreak, it was a little warmer but that was about it. Although in the process of melting, the driveway and stuff was still a layer of ice. We got to the school and they had forgotten to set up our table/space so they tried to squeeze us in but instead of getting an 8 foot table, the spot they had available wasn't big enough so they brought two more or less standard cardtables -- too small for the racks.  There was onlt room for one of my tables but as luck would have it, we found we could hang a second rack on the coathooks on he wall. Another inch or so higher and it would have looked like we had a 6-tier rack. So I tried to squeeze 3/4 of our inventory in to 1/2 the normal space and did fairly well.

For practicalp purposes, it would safe to say that no one from the first Mass came to the craft area. Doors opened to public at 8 abd the first potential custoemr passed our booth about 9:30. Our first sale was at 10:40. I think we ended up selling 10 pads all day. I think the main problem was that by 9:00 it was raining --- hardd -- and it continued to rain until literally just mintes before we started to load the van to head home. We were lucky enough that it had turned into a light drizzle.

During all of the confusion of setup, etc. I never met the head person. No one came to me during the day to collect up  so I haven't paid for table yet. Also, when I went downstairs to get breakfast, I went in the wrong door and before I could pay for breakfast, one of the workers was offering to get me a plate so I wouldn't have to stand in line. Amazing how helpful people get sometimes towards a person walking with two canes. Net result, I ended up not paying for breakfast either. So at the moment, we stand with $4 expense for Eric's breakfast and $22 (approximately) of pad sales.Of course, if the lady calls and asks about the table pay I will send it but condiering the lousy turnout, the problems setting up because they forgot to set us up in a spot, and so on, I am gonna  wait until they ask.

Personally, not the day I waned or hoped to have. In the end, we may have made something of it.

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 07:55:47 PM »

So I tried to squeeze 3/4 of our inventory in to 1/2 the normal space and did fairly well.

Way to go, James. Necessity is most definitely the mother of invention.

Personally, not the day I waned or hoped to have. In the end, we may have made something of it.

The weather can play havoc with both inside and outside shows.  Undecided

I'm thankful that you drove to and from both shows without having a major problem.
Sitting glued to the TV set, a few days before a show, is not unheard of in the craft world,
as all wish to know what the weather will bring.
And since many businesses count on this time of year, losing two shows to weather is
hard to deal with. I hope that you have a good night's rest, James.
It sounded like a decathalon, with two shows in two days. Thank you for posting
and telling us how the day went. [We're in for the slush, freezing rain, and snow,
overnight, here.]

reens

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 07:59:54 PM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 08:29:21 AM »

More nasty weather planned for the next few days . 3-6 inches of snow starrting this afternoon. i sure am glad I dont have anyplace really important to go to in the next few weeks. The few plans I have are unimportant enough that if I skipped things, it would not matter much. <ahhh, that feels good.>

JKS
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 10:33:10 AM »

More nasty weather planned for the next few days . 3-6 inches of snow starrting this afternoon. i sure am glad I dont have anyplace really important to go to in the next few weeks. The few plans I have are unimportant enough that if I skipped things, it would not matter much. <ahhh, that feels good.>

JKS

I missed the entire adventure...but i am glad you are at and about to be able to rest for a few weeks!

Lana
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 11:22:01 AM »

You, too!, can become a member of the Hibernating Bears association.
Our motto?  "Wait until Spring."  Roll Eyes

Visiting a Hibernating Bear

Senior Member, [pun!] 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 11:44:43 AM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: