Faith Community at WordsFree.org
September 24, 2018, 03:01:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quote from St. Catherine of Siena  (Read 2857 times)
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2007, 01:05:25 PM »

I ran across this beautiful reminder today, a quote from St. Catherine of Siena:

"You try to return my love, but that is impossible, YOU can never return my love. The best you can do is to love them as I love you. When you can love them without expecting them to love you, you will love them as I love you."

As I have often commented, we can only love God by loving His people. For if we don't love them--who are indwelt by Him--we can't say that we love Him. Or as St. John put it: "If anyone says 'I love God', but hates his brother, he is a liar; for whoever does not love a brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen."

John

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 08:42:31 PM »

I am trying hard to invision all of the persons this statement refers to.

Can you help me with who is each person in this, as it is quite

amazing in each of the 6 versions i have imagined it to be.. Tongue

LLL
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 12:24:02 AM »

Or as St. John put it: "If anyone says 'I love God', but hates his brother, he is a liar; for whoever does not love a brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen."

I often think of that, John.
How can you say that you love Me, when you do not love those
whom I have placed in this world?

reen

"I took a walk on a cold winter's day."
                       California Dreamin'
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 03:01:13 AM »

"You try to return my love, but that is impossible, YOU can never return my love. The best you can do is to love them as I love you. When you can love them without expecting them to love you, you will love them as I love you."

I am not kidding when who's on first came into my mind as a good example of confusion for me.

the persons, the tenses, and the referals to each, lost me very quickly.

I do not mean to be a burden, a i am not picking it apart, as i do find that the message is quite deep.

I just want to be sure my interpretation and direction of each are on the same page.

LLL
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 03:05:49 AM by Lana » Logged
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 06:06:24 AM »

I'm sorry, Lana, I should have made that clear. This is God speaking to St. Catherine, telling her that it is impossible for us to return His love. It is only in loving others without expecting them to love us that we can learn how we are loved by God--who loves us unconditionally.

For when we learn how to love in spite of being ignored and not loved back, we will begin to understand how God loves us even when we don't love Him back or acknowledge Him.

John

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 09:35:42 PM »

ahhhhh...thanks, i was wondering if St. Catharine was saying this...well there were many versions i had thought!

Thanks for the clarification!

To love, evpecting absolutely nothing in return, is a selfless sort of love, and most resembling his kind.

me thinks!

LLL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: