Faith Community at WordsFree.org
June 25, 2017, 01:59:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poverty takes many forms  (Read 3933 times)
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2007, 04:08:29 AM »

I have been thinking about poverty, lately.

The poverty of Francis and Zusia. The inner poverty of those deprived
of love and support and compassion, as children.  Where the sense of
"I am good, I am loved" is taken from a child, before he/she even has
that sense.  The poverty of the mind, when mental illness deprives one
of the ability, sometimes, to think clearly, rationally, and terror may be
present. The poverty of the thief, crucified with Christ, who had such poverty
of heart, that he could not see what the Good Thief could see.
Did Jesus have mercy on the other thief?  I think that He did, for He
knew the source of that man's poverty.

The inner poverty that sees life as the aquistion of objects, thinking that
this is the sole good.  What poverty of soul is this?
The poverty of soul that cannot see material poverty, unbidden, as a condition
to relieve.   

The moral poverty, in the support of partial birth abortion.
Who cannot see the hideous act that this is.  From whence comes such poverty?
in this lack of capacity to see what is right in front of the eyes.
The Silent Scream, described by Dr. Nathanson.  How can ears be deaf
to such cries?
The poverty of spirit, that makes a human being think that career and advancement
comes before every other good.  Family relationships, the well being of neighbors,
the develpment of other dimensions of personhood.  How is such poverty created?
The poverty that thinks that power is to be sought in it's own right, and not as
stewardship, in the service of others.

There are many kinds of poverty.  The poor in spirit?  Those who know how weak
they are, how limited in some - or many areas of life, and who turn to God in humility
knowing that He will succor the poor in spirit, and resist the proud - who, in their
blindness, think that they are self-sufficient, unaware of their own poverty. 
For the self-sufficient of spirit may be the most poverty stricken of all. 

"Let him who has ears, listen.  Let him who has eyes, see."

See the poverty that exists within, hear the cry of our own poverty, and beg God for mercy,
compassion, understanding and grace.

And each of us is called upon to be merciful to the poor.  The poor are all around us.
Each of us is poor.

And in our own poverty we reach out, through God's grace, to those in any condition
of poverty.  And this is why the Son of God said "Zaccheus ! I must dine with you today."

reen

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:19:07 AM by reen » Logged

"I took a walk on a cold winter's day."
                       California Dreamin'
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 04:15:47 AM »

Luke: 19

"He came to Jericho and intended to pass through the town.

Now a man there named Zacchaeus, who was a chief tax collector and also a wealthy man,

who was seeking to see who Jesus was; but he could not see him because of the crowd, for he was short in stature.

So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree in order to see Jesus, who was about to pass that way.

When he reached the place, Jesus looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down quickly, for today I must stay at your house."

And he came down quickly and received him with joy.

When they all saw this, they began to grumble, saying, "He has gone to stay at the house of a sinner."

But Zacchaeus stood there and said to the Lord, "Behold, half of my possessions, Lord, I shall give to the poor, and if I have extorted anything from anyone I shall repay it four times over."

And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house because this man too is a descendant of Abraham.

For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save what was lost." 

reen

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 09:14:28 AM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 06:33:36 AM »

There are many kinds of poverty.  The poor in spirit?  Those who know how weak
they are, how limited in some - or many areas of life, and who turn to God in humility
knowing that He will succor the poor in spirit, and resist the proud - who, in their
blindness, think that they are self-sufficient, unaware of their own poverty. 
For the self-sufficient of spirit may be the most poverty stricken of all. 

This speaks to me Reen. There is a fine line we do not even know we cross.

That line where we are trying so hard to make God happy with the deeds we are doing.

Then realize that we cut him out, that he is not supporting us, and we believe we can do it without him.

This is the point where we can hold tight, and grab a hold of him, or we let go.

When we are so close to not seeing this, our soul is almost up for grabs.

The rich man is far into this, and still does not see his soul is being pleased by other gods.

Posessions, money, friends....again, without God.

How very sad. I personally, out of getting busy, tetter totter on the edge of this.

I pray deeply that this loss never becomes a way of life.

Lana

reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 07:08:39 AM »

quote: LanasDawning
How very sad. I personally, out of getting busy, tetter totter on the edge of this.

I pray deeply that this loss never becomes a way of life.

He will catch us as we fall. 

"Nothing can keep us from the love of God..."
Not my own stupidity and lack of understanding and fear.
He will catch us as we fall. Even when we don't know to cry out to Him.
Zaccheus didn't.  Undecided   So Jesus called up to him.

"Bunny, do you need Me?"  "Go away," says a fearful child.
"Then I'll just wait, just in case, all right, bunny?"
"No. Go away."  But He doesn't.  And that's why He's God.

"Save me Lord, I am sinking."  Jesus knew, before Peter was even aware that he was going under.

He has strong arms to save.

reen

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 07:46:59 AM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 08:25:50 AM »

That is a beautiful reflection Reen, and a reminder that we all need as we struggle along in our day to day world.

And of course it comes with the other reminder, which you helped me with the other day, that all God asks is that we try to be the person that He created us to be. I am not called on to be Francis, though I might try my best to imitate the poverty of Francis as it applies to my life. For I may not be called to monetary poverty, but to a poverty that uses that which I have been given to accomplish the purpose for which God put me here. For with what I have been given, I may be able to help some in places that Francis would not have had access to, and speak with credibiliity to some who would not have afforded that credibility to Francis.

I found the following statement from your reflection especially true, and hope you don't mind that I've quoted it into the news box as a reminder for us.

And each of us is called upon to be merciful to the poor.  The poor are all around us.
Each of us is poor.

And in our own poverty we reach out, through God's grace, to those in any condition
of poverty.  And this is why the Son of God said "Zaccheus ! I must dine with you today."

John

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 08:44:34 AM »

quote: ncjohn
I found the following statement from your reflection especially true, and hope you don't mind that I've quoted it into the news box as a reminder for us.

Thank you, John.  It is a reminder to me.  For I have to keep reminding
myself that I am not to turn away from someone who repels me by
his/her attitudes, or turn away because they are not materially poor,
or not in obvious distress.  The story of Zaccheus speaks to me on many levels.

reen

California Dreamin'
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 09:00:41 AM »

Thank you, John. It is a reminder to me. For I have to keep reminding
myself that I am not to turn away from someone who repels me by
his/her attitudes, or turn away because they are not materially poor,
or not in obvious distress. The story of Zaccheus speaks to me on many levels.

I think you're right on the money here Reen. And often it is those who seem to be poor in the ability to act lovingly. But that poverty almost surely comes in most cases from not having been properly loved themselves, and thus never having been taught how to love.

And if I don't help them learn that by acting llovingly with them, I am like a robber who is continuing to steal that from them and further reinforcing that negative lesson.

"...and the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself."

This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 09:14:05 AM »

I think you're right on the money here Reen. And often it is those who seem to be poor in the ability to act lovingly. But that poverty almost surely comes in most cases from not having been properly loved themselves, and thus never having been taught how to love.

Agree wholeheartedly, John.

The Francisan priest/psycholigist Father Benedict Groeschel once noted that, in all the decades in
which he has heard confessions, he has only heard a handful of true mortal sins.

The longer I live the more convinced I am that most sins are the result of woundedness, and that
were we to know a person's life, from the beginning, we would be more merciful - in our tendency
to judge another.  To look at the actions or attitudes of a human being, and to say silently
"What was done to you, what have you been deprived of - that would cause you to say mean
or insensitive things, or to be in the world - in such an unloving and un-seeing way?  Who has done this to you?"

reen

California Dreamin'
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 09:32:58 AM »

This is the first picture of Jesus that I have ever seen
that conveys Who He is, if He was truly the Son of God.

Look at the mercy in that Face, the sense of "I am suffering with you, Zaccheus."
"Don't be afraid.  I know how you have hurt others, and I know how hurt in your very being you were -
to have done these things.  I will hold you, and be the only Person Who has ever understood all, good Zaccheus.
I will love you, where others have turned you away. I am here for you in a way that no human being can be.
I understand how you were hurt and you are loved by Me. Lean on me, Zaccheus, I am here. I, your God, love you. Be at peace."

reen

California Dreamin'
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 09:49:49 AM »

The longer I live the more convinced I am that most sins are the result of woundedness, and that
were we to know a person's life, from the beginning, we would be more merciful - in our tendency
to judge another. To look at the actions or attitudes of a human being, and to say silently
"What was done to you, what have you been deprived of - that would cause you to say mean
or insensitive things, or to be in the world - in such an unloving and un-seeing way? Who has done this to you?"

Beautifully stated Reen. I will not add a word to that.

ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 09:53:08 AM »

I will love you, where others have turned you away. I am here for you in a way that no human being can be.
I understand how you were hurt and you are loved by Me. Lean on me, Zaccheus, I am here. I, your God, love you. Be at peace."

And what is saddest--which I think is what I was trying to address in my CAF thread about people being afraid of peace--is the way people will turn on you in a heartbeat for being kind to someone they have decided needs to be stoned.

But, given the historical precedent, I guess it's not really surprising at all. "If they hated me, they will hate you also."

Cry

reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 10:51:46 AM »

And what is saddest--which I think is what I was trying to address in my CAF thread about people being afraid of peace--is the way people will turn on you in a heartbeat for being kind to someone they have decided needs to be stoned.

But, given the historical precedent, I guess it's not really surprising at all. "If they hated me, they will hate you also."

Cry

You know what this made me think of?  I should make a list - of the people that I think should be turned away. Undecided

"You insist on partial birth abortion? I don't want to know you."
"You oppose the use of force, when it's clear to me that this may be not only a just act, but may be an act of great mercy?
I want nothing to do with you."
"You watch CNN news? Go away from me. You accept those 'accounts' as redolent of reality?  Angry Get real, and go away
from me."
"You vote Democrat? How could you, when those party leaders insist on abortion "rights."  Go away from me."

While others might do the same to me.

"You watch Fox News? Like propaganda, do you?  Go away from me, you mindless robot."
"You think that we should interfere in the Middle East, bringing death and destruction?  You war-monger, you.  Go away from me."
"Vote conservative?  Obviously you are opposed to relieving suffering by government involvement in such efforts. You
heartless jerk."

Whoaaaa!!!  Found Everyday People here.  Choose Windows Media High from the grid.  Wait a moment and it will start to play.
Whoaaaaa!!!!!   oooooo....shaaa shaaa.

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/slyandthefamilystonex07x03x07

"You just can't figure out the place I'm in..."  Ooooohhhh  yeah.  Made...my...day.

reen

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:57:34 AM by reen » Logged

California Dreamin'
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 11:21:24 AM »

And just maybe we can make a small difference.

Yusuf Islam, formerly known as Cat Stevens of course, doing Peace Train

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaI5M9coflg

Lanasshoebox
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 06:48:53 PM »

Very cool video...i have never seen what he looks like, and i remember the beat of this song, but never knew the message behind it.

Same with the one from you reen, i never heard the music long enough to ever remember the lyrics.

Good stuff!

Lana
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 06:55:20 PM »

Same with the one from you reen, i never heard the music long enough to ever remember the lyrics.

Good stuff!

Glad you liked it. It speaks to a younger part of me. 

reen

California Dreamin'
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 07:04:31 PM »

Good stuff!

Glad you liked it. It speaks to a younger part of me. 

reen

Don't you mean many parts of a younger you?

Your so cute!

lana
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 12:04:14 PM »

Everyday People was/is a great song. I always identified with the sentiments in it.

Alan
Administrator
Forum Fanatic

Evolving...

piggysiggy
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 01:17:36 PM »

bump

... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: