Faith Community at WordsFree.org
August 18, 2017, 03:09:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wordsfree is on a New Server again! (April 2017)
We moved from Azure to a new cloud solution that should be more stable, and importantly: cheaper! -- Matt

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Word for the day challenge.  (Read 60877 times)
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2006, 05:29:01 AM »

Okay, new topic with a dual purpose.

(1) Provide a set place for my (almost) daily interesting (I hope) word.
(2) A challenge to see how long we can keep the thread on topic, specifically, discussing the word of the (almost) day without deviating from it.

Today's word ---  INVIDIOUS

Invidious is an adjective that means designed to create ill will or envy

Synonyms are mean-spirited, ill-willed

Example -- Some people accidently make remarks that hurt other people but others say hurtful things just to be invidious.

JKS

ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 08:35:50 AM »

Excellent James!

I wasn't familiar with that particular word, though I was certainly aware of the concept. Are we going to rotate on supplying words? Or just discuss applications of the word? Or do we just be passive and allow you to be the Master of the Word?

Having to show great restraint in NOT digressing into discussing the statement used in the example!

John

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 09:28:55 AM »

Digress, why fight it...you often lead very well, althouh a Master is only a Master, if his people are happy...

Point two says discuss it, but to stay on topic. I can try and see if i got the full meaning, if i use it again and try and use it in the right context...and then you tell me if i was right James...LOL, like he would not any how...but i like it!

One day...before my son was barried i was found crying and my husband replied with anger, "God, is this all you are going to do, he's DEAD, NEVER comming back....get over it!"

To me, it was INVIDIOUS because i never saught him out or pushed it on him. I was alone in my bedroom trying to compose myself with a house full of people. He saught me out to vent his frustration on me crying. This was for his personal gain to say this, and highly inaporpriate. IMHO of course.

Lana

jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 03:17:39 PM »

One day...before my son was barried i was found crying and my husband replied with anger, "God, is this all you are going to do, he's DEAD, NEVER comming back....get over it!"

To me, it was INVIDIOUS because i never saught him out or pushed it on him. I was alone in my bedroom trying to compose myself with a house full of people. He saught me out to vent his frustration on me crying. This was for his personal gain to say this, and highly inaporpriate. IMHO of course.

A nasty comment indeed, not from the content so much as the method of delivery. Just to argue the point and clarify the meaning, if his outburst was due to his frustration and he was not thinking, then it was not truly INVIDIoUS. If he was trying to hurt your feelings or in some other way insult you, then it was INVIDIoUS.

There is a fine line there and I hope I explained it well

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 03:41:06 PM »

Lana, I read the comment that you posted as to what was said to you on the day before the
funeral for Will.  I am devastated reading it.  How must it have been for you to hear this said.
There's nothing that I can say that would even begin to tell you how I feel about that being
said to you. I am sorry that those words were spoken to you.

reen

"I took a walk on a cold winter's day."
                       California Dreamin'
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 03:55:01 PM »

It fit one of the meanest comments i could remember, the rest were just mean, he is relentless when money is involved. You see, the fight was over him wanting to rent a casket, and burry this magnificent human being, my heart, in a pine box! It took the sales rep, the funeral director and my friend to pull me off of him.

Then arrived at the house to find my entire family in my house from Nova scotia...for a month...

Theres my Da, hospitalized from grief, checks out and flies here ...there would be nothing stopping him from saying good by to his little buddy. It was his eyes...they were so broken, i could not take it...

Rob had followed me to the bedroom to tell me he wasn't going to feed all these people, and i just rambled on about my Da's sad eyes, and started to cry...that's when he said it!

I have yet to be hugged by him, consoled or helped through this. But i keep hearing how much easier it is now that he does not have medical bills.

If he offered them now, i would not accept......your supposed to love your wife, and try and protect her, and make her feel safe...nope!
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 04:01:54 PM »

Rob had followed me to the bedroom to tell me he wasn't going to feed all these people, and i just rambled on about my Da's sad eyes, and started to cry...that's when he said it!

.... But i keep hearing how much easier it is now that he does not have medical bills.

Given this new testimony (damn law class - corrupting my thought process), I rescind my previous doubt and agree, he was being more than a, uh,.... jerk, he was at the very least, inconsiderate, and from the sounds of it, purely hateful.

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 04:03:40 PM »

Thus says the Lord: A voice is heard in Ramah, lamentation and bitter weeping. Rachel is weeping for her children; she refuses to be comforted for her children, because they are no more. 16 Thus says the Lord... there is hope for your future, says the Lord: your children shall come back to their own country...

When I read what you wrote, those words came to me.  A voice is heard in Ramah.  It is Rachel, weeping
for her children.

Will was with you when that was said to you, Lana, and he asked his eternal Father to comfort and strengthen you.
and he will come back to his own country, for he will once again see his mother and tell her how brave she has been.
Heaven is called Paradise because of that.

reen

California Dreamin'
ncjohn
Global Moderator
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 04:05:21 PM »

It fit one of the meanest comments i could remember, the rest were just mean, he is relentless when money is involved. You see, the fight was over him wanting to rent a casket, and burry this magnificent human being, my heart, in a pine box! It took the sales rep, the funeral director and my friend to pull me off of him.

Then arrived at the house to find my entire family in my house from Nova scotia...for a month...

Theres my Da, hospitalized from grief, checks out and flies here ...there would be nothing stopping him from saying good by to his little buddy. It was his eyes...they were so broken, i could not take it...

I have yet to be hugged by him, consoled or helped through this. But i keep hearing how much easier it is now that he does not have medical bills.

If he offered them now, i would not accept......your supposed to love your wife, and try and protect her, and make her feel safe...nope!

There is really nothing I could say to that except to offer a shoulder....and to let you know that you are loved.

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God."
This is the effect of true charity, to be on good terms with all men, to consider no one your enemy, and to live at peace with those who hate peace.--Robert Bellarmine
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 04:11:16 PM »

Ya know guys, that was one of the hardest things to re-tell about the funeral...cause i knew i was in it alone.

But with friends and big hearts, it really didn't hurt to tell it this time.

hmm...shhhh, but i see Rob on the couch and he thinks i am being funny, and i have pelted him 4 times with a peanut...

Scorpions...they don't get back, they get even...ok, that is my worst trait!

Lana
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »

quote: ncjohn
There is really nothing I could say to that except to offer a shoulder....and to let you know that you are loved.

John, you have a beautiful instinct, for knowing just what to say that will bring comfort of heart to another.
God bless your heart.  Smiley

reen

California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 04:13:29 PM »

I have yet to be hugged by him, consoled or helped through this.

Lana, you know I love you (limited to kind of love that one Christian/human has for another) and I like you as well.

I'll give you a big hug for as long as you need. Don't know how well I can console or how much help I can be but a bug hug would be a good start.

I am afraid, though, at this time you will have to settle for the biggest cyber-hug I can offer.

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 04:14:56 PM »

quote: LanasDawning
S
corpions...they don't get back, they get even...ok, that is my worst trait!

O Gawd, don't tell me that now we will all be urged to admit our worst trait!!  Shocked

O Geez  Lips Sealed

California Dreamin'
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 04:17:49 PM »

See?  I told you James has a sensitive heart of gold.

Tol' you so, in New York

California Dreamin'
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 04:19:38 PM »

I am a scorpio, does that count too?

I must admit to being guilty to the desire to get even but rarely do I get past the planning stages. That much alone is usually sufficient gratification.

JKS
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 04:20:21 PM »

BTW, challenge officially proclaimed failed.

JKS
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 04:26:06 PM »

See?  I told you James has a sensitive heart of gold.

Tol' you so, in New York

I did know it, he only speaks if he feels it nescesary...and i guess he does here...that is damn special to me!

Two months ago, there would be no way in hell i'd hug a Sieggie....

How life changes for the better. I have used his strength, and choosing of ones battles as a great role model already.

But a cyber hug...way cool....no limit on time, right?

stamped it, can't now...hehe

Lana and Allana thank you
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 04:28:08 PM »

JKS

Huh did i miss something?

Oh shit, that was my fault....i'm bad...sorry!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 04:29:50 PM by LanasDawning » Logged
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 04:28:24 PM »

Oh wow -- a threeway. <hee hee>

JKS
jsiegman
Forum Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 04:29:01 PM »

JKS

Huh did i miss something?

Read original post, section (2).

JKS
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 04:30:53 PM »

quote: jseigman
I must admit to being guilty to the desire to get even but rarely do I get past the planning stages. That much alone is usually sufficient gratification.

See what I mean!!!  Shocked   Diogenes, you can hang up your lamp.  We have found a truthful man.  Our James.  Smiley

reen

California Dreamin'
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 04:31:37 PM »

Oh wow -- a threeway. <hee hee>

JKS

Shocked even i missed that one...ok, it's me you and Allana James...were outa here!!!
reen
Forum Fanatic

our Christmas chicken

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 04:33:24 PM »

Gotta go take a nap. An autumn breeze is wafting thru the leaves, and I can't keep my eyes open.

reen

California Dreamin'
Lanasshoebox
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 05:03:17 PM »

Reen said, "zzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
Cath
Global Moderator

stargazer67894 immajinx
View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 05:11:32 PM »

JKS

*snickers*

That totally wasn't even worth trying. It was a nice thought I guess.
I'm a libra!

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: